This week was a mix of record high temperatures and severe weather! Take a look at the weather stats that stood out the most.
- In a week’s time we’ve double the previous number of locations to hit their first 90-degree high of the year. The number now stands at 262 individual locations. Palm Springs, CA and McAllen, TX are tied with forty-three 90-degree days this year to date.
- With the confirmed 90º reading on Monday, May 14, this is Atlanta’s first heatwave of the season (per the NWS definition of heatwave) and their 5th earliest heatwave in recorded history. Note: May is the earliest month for Atlanta where three back-to-back-to-back 90-degree highs have occurred.
- About 30 million people were under a severe thunderstorm warning on the evening of Tuesday, May 15.
- This week there is a pretty incredible stretch of record heat ongoing in New Orleans!
- Sunday: 90° (tied record high)
- Monday: 96° (Daily record high and tied May monthly record)
- Tuesday: 97° (Daily record and May monthly record)
- Wednesday: 95° (Daily record high)
Tell us what weather you experienced in the comments below!