This week the country experienced a wide range of weather! From snowfall records and heat records to severe outbreaks, the past 7 days have been a whirlwind. Here are the best stats from the week:
- This week, Mount Washington Observatory in New Hampshire had 38 hours of continuous snowfall, leaving behind 33.3”. This is their largest snowstorm ever recorded in May, and they broke their 24-hour May snowfall record with 22.9” in a 24 hour period!
- 80 mph wind gusts were recorded in Armour, SD on Monday, May 15
- On Wednesday, May 17 the high in Tampa, FL was 98º, which beat the daily record of 96º, tied the monthly record (set back on May 26, 1975), and – best of all – came up 1º short of their all-time record high of 99º! That was back on June 5, 1985.
- The Storm Prediction Center (SPC) issued it’s 4th high risk of 2017 for parts of Oklahoma and Kansas on Thursday, May 18. 2011 was the last year featuring at least that many, with 5 high risk days.
- NYC Central Park Breaks Record: 92° at 1 PM on Thursday, May 18.
- Official high in Boston, MA was 95° on Thursday. This is the hottest May temperature in 38 years!
- The high of 93° in Burlington, VT on Thursday, May 18 tied the 93° set on May 22nd, 1977.
What was the weather like in your area this week? Hot, cold, stormy, or a mixture?