This week, winter came back with a vengeance to a large portion of the country that didn’t experience any cold weather for the first two months of 2017. A lot of records were broken, so let’s get right to the facts!
- Going through the records, there has not been a March blizzard warning for New York City going back to at least 2006, which is where the database stops.
- Chicago, IL: For the first time since 2003, the month of March has seen more snow than January + February combined. Chicago also saw their first 1″+ in more than 80 days, since mid-December.
- Who saw a Top 10 snowiest March day this week? Hartford, CT and Worcester, MA.
- On Tuesday 3/14/17, wind gusts reached hurricane force, with a 79 mph wind gust measured off Wellfleet, MA.
- Burlington, VT: Measured a snowfall rate of 5″/hour at one point.
- St. Louis, MO: As of Wednesday 3/15/17, the average temperature so far in March (47.5°) has been LOWER than the average temp was in February (47.7°).
- Binghamton, NY: Broke FOUR snowfall-related records with Stella this week- daily snowfall, 24-hour period snowfall, largest single-snowstorm, and snowiest season.
- Atlanta, GA: After NO days in the 20s during February, Thursday marked the 2nd one in March for Atlanta.
- On Thursday morning 3/16/17, 38% of the U.S. land area was below freezing.
- First Wind Chill Advisory issued by NWS Miami in more than 400 days this week, and the first one in March in 5 years (since 2012). Note: Miami was NOT in the advisory.
Let us know in the comments below if your city is on this list, or if your city got wild weather of its own!