Between unexpected earthquakes, record snowfall, and dry streaks, the weather this week kept us busy! Here’s a look at some interesting weather facts from the past few days.
- The final total is 12.4″ on Monday, January 22 in Twin Cities, MN. It was the snowiest day in over 7 years (16.3″ on 12/12/10) and the 12th snowiest day overall since records began in 1875.
- Sioux City, IA received 12.1″ on Monday, January 22, making it their 10th snowiest calendar day on record, and 2nd snowiest January day on record.
- A 7.9 magnitude earthquake near Kodiak, AK triggered tsunami watch for parts of the West Coast on the early morning of Tuesday, January 23.
- Wednesday, January 24 marked day 103 straight with no measurable rain in Amarillo, TX. This is now their longest rain-free streak on record, smashing the previous record of 75 days set back in 1957.
- With 5″ of new snow on Wednesday, January 24, Mt. Baker has now recorded 100″ of new snow in the last 8 days. Other new snow totals in the last 8 days in the Cascades, Paradise on Mt. Rainier 54″, Snoqualmie Pass 49″, Alpental 48″ and Stevens Pass 46″.
Tell us what kinds of weather you experienced this week in the comments below!