This week brought devastating severe weather, insane temperature records, and more. Check out the stats below.
- On Monday, December 16th, there were:
- 26 confirmed tornadoes
- 99 severe reports overall
- 85 tornado warnings issued
- 85 severe t-storm warnings issued
- Largest hail: 1.75″ (golf ball) in Lamar & Lincoln Counties, MS
- Strongest (non-tornadic) wind gust: 62 mph in Huntsville, AL
- On Monday, December 16th, Alexandria, LA issued a tornado emergency, which was their 11th of the year.
- Due to the tornado outbreak on Monday, December 16th, the Tor:Con was raised to 8, which is the highest since a 9 was issued on May 20th this year. Before that? The 8 that was issued on September 11, 2017 in association with Hurricane Irma.
- St. Louis, MO received 2.6″ of snow on Monday, December 16th breaking the daily record of 1.8″ set in 2000. The storm total was 5” of snow, making it the biggest December snowstorm in 12 years.
- On Tuesday, December 17th, record highs were broken all across Florida:
- Jacksonville: 82°
- Daytona Beach: 84°
- Melbourne: 86°
- Vero Beach: 87°
Watch The Weather Channel to get your holiday forecast!