Today marks the official last day of the 2018 hurricane season! Unsurprisingly, there wasn’t much tropical activity this week. Instead, the focus was on blizzards, record-breaking snowfall, and cold temperatures. Here are this week’s stand out stats.
- Chicago, IL was under a blizzard warning on Sunday, November 25. According to the Iowa Mesonet webpage, it’s the fourth blizzard warning for the city in the past 10 years. The others occurring in Jan 2009, Feb 2011, and Feb 2015.
- Rockford, IL had 11.7″ of snow on Sunday, November 25, making this the biggest November snowstorm on record for Rockford. Weather records in Rockford date back to 1905!
- Here are some top Winter Storm Bruce snow totals according to the Weather Prediction Center as of Monday morning:
- Top Rockies Snow Total: 60″ in Elk Mountain, WY
- Top Rockies Wind Report: 80 mph in Red Mountain Pass, CO
- Top Plains Snow Total: 17″ in Oskaloosa, IA
- Top Plains Wind Report: 68 mph in Concordia, KS
- On Monday, November 26, there were 117 total flight delays within, into, or out of the United States today and 372 total cancellations within, into, or out of the United States.
- Bruce’s final snow total for Chicago was 8.4″, with 3.3″ on Sunday and 5.1″ on Monday. This puts Chicago at 12.0″ of snow for the month, making this the 4th snowiest November on record.
- Seattle, WA recorded a daily rainfall record for the second straight day on Tuesday, November 27. In the past two days alone, Seattle has received more than 150% of the total rainfall of May through September 2018 combined. During a 5 hour stretch on Tuesday evening, Seattle received more rain (1.19″) than May through August combined (1.00″)!
- Vero Beach, FL dropped to 38°F overnight into Wednesday, November 28, setting a record low for this date. Previous record was 40°F in 2008.
Stay safe this winter, and always turn to The Weather Channel for your local forecast.