Summer is in full swing, which means it’s high temperatures and storminess galore! Here’s an overview of some of the craziest weather facts and stats from the week.
- Austin, TX: Sunday, July 30 was the 13th day in a row of 100°F+ heat in Austin. Tied 1923 for 12th longest streak. It was also their second daily record high in a row.
- Tucson, AZ: The 6.79″ of rain so far is not only most in July ever, but also more than the average of 6.09″ for all monsoon season!
- Albany, NY: There were no 90° days in July
- Portland, OR: As of earlier this week. the forecast had 4 consecutive days with highs of 100°F or more at PDX. The last time this happened was August 7-10, 1981.
- Seattle, WA: Dry Streak- July 2017 became just the 7th month since 1945 that only a Trace of rain was recorded.
- Naples, FL: Set a daily record rainfall amount with 2.12 inches. The old record for July 31st was 1.89″ from 1989.
- Medford, OR: 1) when they reached 110° on Tuesday, August 4 it was the first time they got to 110° since 1992 (when it got to 111). 2) Medford reached 112 on Wednesday, August 2. Last time they got to 112°, postage stamps cost 20 cents (1981).
- As of Wednesday, August 2, it’s been 4300 days since the last major (Cat. 3+ on Saffir-Simpson scale) hurricane made U.S. landfall (Wilma-2005).
- Hurricane Season is 6 months long, but Aug-Sep-Oct are the meat of it with 76% of named storms, 82% of hurr, 92% of major hurr, and 87% of ACE.
- Quillayute, WA: The high of 98° on Wednesday, August 3 was +29° above normal and its 2nd hottest on record (99° on 8/9/81).
Tell me what the weather was like in your community this week!