There’s no need to specify what the big weather story of the week is, Hurricane Florence! Here are the most staggering weather statistics from the week so far.
- A 105 mph wind gust was recorded in Wilmington, NC on Thursday, September 13. This is the strongest wind measured there in 60 years! (135 mph in Hurricane Helene in 1958)
- Hurricane Florence made landfall at 7:15a ET in Wrightsville Beach, NC on the morning of Friday, September 14. This is the first hurricane to make landfall in the state since Arthur in 2014!
- Before Hurricane Florence came ashore, waves were measured up to 83 ft.
- Tropical Storm Olivia made landfall in Hawaii on Lanai on Wednesday, September 12. It made landfall again on Maui the same morning, which made it the first tropical storm to ever make landfall on the island of Maui.
- On the evening of Thursday, September 13, 6 foot storm surge was reported at Union Park in New Bern, NC.
- When Hurricane Florence made landfall the morning of Friday, September 14, Wilmington, NC experienced the highest winds since 1960.
Let us know what part of the world you’re in and what weather you experienced this week.