Groundhog Day is just around the corner! The Weather Channel’s resident Groundhog Day enthusiast, Freddy Flaxman, is in Punxsutawney, PA awaiting the big day and preparing for the festivities in the “Groundhog Capital of the World”. Keep up with Freddy’s Groundhog Day adventures by watching his video diary on AMHQ on Thursday morning or catching it in our Videos section later this week! Here’s the story on his love of the holiday and why he thinks every weather geek should be a Groundhog Day enthusiast.
1. Why do you love Groundhog Day?
Here at The Weather Channel, we love all things weather, so how could I resist a holiday completely dedicated to weather!
2. What’s the most interesting fact about Groundhog Day to you?
Did you know that the Inner Circle, the caretakers of Punxsutawney Phil, speak Groundhog-ese!? I don’t remember that as a possible major during college.
3. What do you look forward to doing during Groundhog Day in Punxsutawney, PA?
I’m honored and excited to be meeting and experiencing Groundhog Day with the fantastic townspeople of Punxsutawney. They have been so kind to host us.
4. What’s your favorite Groundhog Day tradition done in Punxsutawney?
Jim Cantore benchpressing all the members of the Inner Circle just before dawn.
(Kidding. It’s definitely Phil’s prediction. It’s the main event!)
5. Do you have any aspirations on one day making it into the Inner Circle?
I’d be honored. I’ve been calling myself “Thunder” for years, so it would be nice for it to finally make sense.
(Editor’s note: All members of the Inner Circle have weather-themed nicknames.)
6. Do you have your own Groundhog Day traditions?
I build a burrow in my backyard and look for my shadow.
7. Who’s your favorite prognosticating groundhog?
Phil, of course: The OG. (Original Groundhog)
8. Do you think Punxsutawney Phil will see his shadow?
You heard it here first: No shadow. Early spring. The people will rejoice. Take it to the bank.