Tornados.

started by jeremye, June 4, 2017
6 replies to this discussion

How many of you been in a tornado before? What was the strongest tornado you over seen?

You are welcome to send your pictures of the tornados to me. I would love to see them.

I was not in a tornado but my house was about 2 miles away from a tornado. it was only a EF-1 but did bring down power lines and destroyed a house’s roof. we were on the south side of the city and the tornado hit the north side.

I have never been in a tornado but I have seen them…My luck I never have a camera around to take pictures of them

I always want to see tornado I real life but not to close to me or else I’ll die

Being a storm chaser would be so cool

I love watching the show Tornado Alley

• Expert Member

My closest encounter with a tornado was while living in upstate NY. The sky really did look green, and the winds were picking up. When the tornado warning was issued for the Albany area, we made our way down to the basement. We heard a loud crashing sound just outside. When the storm was gone, we saw that a huge tree had landed on our neighbor’s metal shed (the loud sound we heard) and it took down our power lines as well. We think it was a funnel as it passed over my neighborhood, but the NWS later determined the tornado touchdown was just a few miles away. We were without power for about 3 or 4 days. Pretty scary stuff!

@kcass, my closest encounter with a tornado happened on 15 April 2012 when an EF3 tornado tore through the far west side of my hometown of Woodward, Oklahoma, just after midnight.  When I received the tornado warning, I took cover in my colossal bathroom and put up mattresses, pillows, and blankets to protect me from flying debris.  I further took my weather radio with me to hear any updates.

The tornado formed southwest of Woodward and moved into the city at 12:15 AM.  It finally dissipated and moved out of Woodward at 12:20 AM.  Luckily, my home missed the tornado by literally two miles.  Significant damage was reported on the northwest part of Woodward.  Unfortunately, six people perished.  Moreover, I was without power for sixteen hours.  Yikes!  I shall never forget that ominously scary night.  #closeencountertwister 🙁

Reply to Tornados.

X

Join the We Love Weather Community

You’re trying to access an exclusive feature–and trust us, you don’t want to miss it!

• Access Exclusive Content
  • Receive Weekly Newsletters
  • Post Your Weather Photos
  • Participate in Our Forums
  • Create Your Own Profile

What are you waiting for? It only takes a minute to join!

Already a member?