The “Winter” That Never Was

started by David4004, March 11, 2020
1 replies to this discussion

As you know…or don’t know…I live in New Jersey in the United States.  The 2019 – 2020 Winter season felt more like Spring, save for a few brief tastes of Winter weather, here and there.  I remember when Winter used to be cold and snowy when I was growing up with only brief mild spells, here and there, back then.  Now, it’s the opposite.  What happened?  Since most people continue to deny Climate Change (or Global Warming), what alternative explanation can there be for hotter Summers and milder Winters becoming the “new” normal in recent years?

In February of 2018, there were at least two days in NJ when high temperatures peaked in the 70s.  And, in a town called Teterboro, it peaked at 83°F on one of those warm days in February.  In December of 2015, right around Christmas, it felt more like Memorial Day with high temperatures in the 60s and 70s and A/Cs were blasting like crazy!  A/Cs were also blasting in February of 2018, by the way.

Why is it that Winter seems to always have warm spells that make it feel like Spring while Summer almost never has any cool spells that make it feel like Autumn?  It seems that Summer is one continuous long stretch of miserably hot and humid weather (which often begins early and overstays its welcome right into a good chunk of Autumn, I might add) while Winter keeps getting invaded by Spring warmth.  What’s going on with the weather?

Here in Michigan, we do get cool spells most summers and they are usually a welcome relief.  Last summer was very cool and we didn’t feel like we even got any summer until late July and into August.  I guess it depends on what part of the country that you live in.

Reply to The “Winter” That Never Was

X

Join the We Love Weather Community

You’re trying to access an exclusive feature–and trust us, you don’t want to miss it!

• Access Exclusive Content
  • Receive Weekly Newsletters
  • Post Your Weather Photos
  • Participate in Our Forums
  • Create Your Own Profile

What are you waiting for? It only takes a minute to join!

Already a member?