The Weather Channel in NYC has gone all-the-way

started by iJeffry, December 5, 2016
19 replies to this discussion

This afternoon, The Weather Channel feed on Spectrum Time Warner Cable went to a live anchored (anchored by Paul Goodlowe) format doing only local weather with field reports,  traffic reports and local news crawl on the screen. It was called “The Weather Channel New York”. And I was getting that instead of the national weather channel feed with Dr Forbes covering severe weather elsewhere in the country. This kind of seems like a hybrid of the Local Now stream and The Weather Channel, airing on the The Weather Channel’s channel number in my cable line up. Are other people in other markets seeing the same thing?

Yes.  I just tuned in and this is all I see.  I just chatted with a TWC/Spectrum person and he said it will be back to normal tomorrow.  But I don ‘t think he really understood the issue.  Said he had to ask the ‘back end’ people.  BTW I live in Brooklyn.

On Long Island, and instead of WUTV it’s that and I don’t have Time Warner

Update – this is not the fault of our cable providers. It’s a two week experiment by The Weather Channel for just New York, as was clarified via twitter by one of the WUTV production team members. https://twitter.com/ryandavidsonwx/status/805921292448858116

And apparently it’s more than just the five boroughs or the immediate tri-state area that is included in this experiment. On twitter, there are people complaining up in Hudson Valley and beyond – and they were only seeing NYC local weather even though they were 90 miles north of the City. I’m sure The Weather Channel will see how the rating do and decide accordingly. But based on day one reaction on the twitters, I don’t think this experiment is going to go well. I didn’t see anyone commenting that liked it. Doing it on top of WUTV was a mistake, almost surely. Right now we’ve got the “regular” version of The Weather Channel. But I expect that at 4pm or 5pm, it will switch to The Weather Channel New York again.

Ditto from me… thanks for the Twitter info.  I looked in this morning and was happy to see AMHQ in its usual place.  But looks like I won’t have WUTV again tonite.  Boy, Paul Goodlowe must be tired from all of that repetitive spiel.  Not happy.

And might I add (IN UPPERCASE) that I WILL NOT BE WATCHING THE ‘EXPERIMENTAL’ WEATHER CHANNEL PROGRAMMING.  And if they keep it up or extend it, I will not watch the channel at all.

So it did happen again today, as expected, at 4PM. But I just got a push notification from the Local Now app that reads, “Join us again all next week starting at 4PM Monday.” So if I’m understanding this correctly, those of us in the Tri-State area will have the “regular” version of The Weather Channel for the rest of this week (?) but we’ll be getting The Weather Channel New York all week next week. Hopefully they’re learning what it is they need to learn from this experiment.

Honestly, if I got a SECOND Weather Channel in my line up (the way I have two channels from CNN and ESPN and Fox Sports), I would really like this Weather Channel New York. It is much more in-depth than what I get for the Local On The 8s; and I enjoy the local news element to it. And I liked that they had live anchoring and live field reports for the weather in my own city. It is just ABSOLUTELY NO REPLACEMENT for the regular version of The Weather Channel. However, I think the whole point of having hundreds of cable channels is that I’m supposed to be inundated with variety and choice…and this is a choice I would enjoy having.

So much as I had hoped, it looks like if this experiment goes well, it will be a separate channel, not pre-emptying The Weather Channel’s regular coverage of national and breaking weather. More choices sounds like a win! More live local content sounds like a win (especially if it’s not at the expense of the national and breaking stuff we like). And growth of The Weather Channel sounds like a win. And I kinda liked The Weather Channel New York! Here’s a tweet from the same person on the WUTV production team I linked to earlier: https://twitter.com/ryandavidsonwx/status/806288517995315200

Im 90 miles North of NYC on the edge of the Catskills. And where yes Paul is a great WX guy, Id prefer the WU crews more animated and involved WX approach. 🙂

Well, despite what last night’s push notification from the Local Now app suggested, the two-week experiment with The Weather Channel New York definitely continues today. It’s kind of growing on me…as an additional option to regular The Weather Channel (definitely not a permanent pre-emotion to our access to the national and breaking coverage).

• Verified Member
    We’re glad you guys are talking about The Weather Channel New York.  To clear up some of the confusion, this is a two week campaign we’re running in NYC and through the extended five boroughs.  Each weeknight, from 4-8p, we will deliver local weather for NY.  We appreciate the feedback we’ve seen so far and hope that all of you keep the feedback coming so that we can continue to give everyone the best weather coverage possible.  Tell us what you love, what you hate, and what you might want to see that we haven’t even thought of yet!
    Regular programming will return to the area on December 19.  If you are missing Weather Underground and would still like to watch the national feed of The Weather Channel, you can stream it online at weather.com/tv or through our Local Now app.

Dear Brandon:  I am probably the only holdout in the civilized world, but I do NOT have a cell nor am I wireless at home.  So much for ‘regular’ Weather Channel during those hours.  If the Weather Channel people want feedback, I’ll give mine again… NO NO NO to the Weather Channel New York.  If you want to make a separate channel, fine by me.  But if you continue or expand this monotonous show, I will drop Weather Channel completely from my viewing.

• Verified Member

Thanks for the feedback, MiniCooper.  We definitely hear you (and the others) who have left your comments.  This campaign will continue to run through the next week, but that’s just so we can give it a fair shot and get more feedback from viewers like  you.  We hope you continue to stick with us as your regular programming will return on the 19th.  If you have any other questions or comments, please continue to voice them.  Thanks, again!

Thanks Brandon… I’m now thinking that this localized feed has a place on the regular Weather Channel… just NOT instead of WUTV.  Could it perhaps be an hour or two during the afternoon or evening (instead of so many repeats of Tornado Alley, Extreme Weather and some of the other shows which are great, just not numerous times per week).

not happy at all with this new format. I also want to see the entire weather picture.

WUTV wasn’t on the other night . Not the way I want to see things. Hopefully they see these complaints and go back to normal programming. if they do this local thing for ten minutes each hour, I can live with it.

• Verified Member

Thanks for the feedback, 4tuna1.  As mentioned above, the regular programming will return on Dec 19, but we encourage those who wish to see WUTV and other regular programs on weather.com/tv or by using our Local Now app!

Not a fan of Weather Channel NYC. While Paul Goodloe is fantastic, living in northwest NJ, we really do not care for what happens in NYC. Would rather see full country breakdown. Hopefully this gets adjusted to something more acceptable for all loyal viewers.

A week into it, I find myself enjoying The Weather Channel New York. It’s great for what it is. And something I could see myself tuning to when I want to dive really deep on local weather in the City and to mix it up when I’ve seen already what’s on the national Weather Channel feed for a while. Especially when there’s a big snow storm coming, this will be great; and it was nice even for just this week’s rain event. It doesn’t replace or exceed what I like about the national feed of The Weather Channel. So what we need are two separate channels. No New York City cable subscriber feels like they should have to chose between or defend the merits of having both NY1/Channel12 and CNN, having both MSG/YES and ESPN…I like this expansion and localization of content from The Weather Channel, this is good stuff and I want both. Put it on a separate channel and keep it going!

• Verified Member

Thanks for the feedback, iJeffry, and for starting the conversation on here!  We’re glad to hear The Weather Channel New York has grown on you and that you would be interested in having access to a more local presentation!

Reply to The Weather Channel in NYC has gone all-the-way

X

Join the We Love Weather Community

You’re trying to access an exclusive feature–and trust us, you don’t want to miss it!

• Access Exclusive Content
  • Receive Weekly Newsletters
  • Post Your Weather Photos
  • Participate in Our Forums
  • Create Your Own Profile

What are you waiting for? It only takes a minute to join!

Already a member?