The Sad Decline of our Beloved Weather Channel

started by harlanhall, June 22, 2019
21 replies to this discussion

Back in the 80’s and 90’s you could turn on TWC and see weather 24/7. Local weather on the 8’s. They even had aviation weather in the 80’s. Now, you’ll most likely see documentaries on tow trucks, wilderness survival or the weather on Mars. Last night severe storms were rolling through the Mid-South. The Weather Channel was showing a hurricane from 20 years ago. This morning another severe storm threat: TWC is showing food safety and activities at some kid’s camp. Yes, I have an iPhone but it’s not the same as watching a real meteorologist giving the forecast in real time on my tv. Some will say the documentaries are interesting. They can be but that’s not the point. I’m one who does a lot of outdoor work. Planning depends on knowing the weather. People who depend on the right forecast usually spend a lot of money on things. That should be enough to satisfy most advertisers. I know I’m not the only one who feels this way but TWC seems to ignore our feelings.

It does seem that TWC ignores us, and some say it’s always been this way. I’m sure they’re taking this feedback into consideration but it probably won’t be until the big cable/satellite providers drop TWC that we will see change. We were promised change with the return to DirecTV bit never got it. Oh well.

(Redacted)

(Redacted)

Redacted

Ok this thread has become a hot steaming pile of garbage. Good work everyone!

Where has all the nasty, foul language come from? And why? I’m thinking there are people on this site now are best suited to be playing in an alley someplace. Ye Gods, people. Keep it civil. Keep it clean. Or go post someplace where everyone is delighted a foul mouth

Redacted

I had to downgrade my DirecTV package since I retired and the package I have now no longer carries The Weather Channel.  What’s up with that?  Since when has it become a premium channel?  I do have AccuWeather, however, and it seems pretty decent.  I still have the Weather Channel’s app on my phone and I love it..  I really don’t know what everyone is complaining about.  I get most of my weather info online anyway and watched the Weather Channel mostly for their other programming.  I also liked watching when there was a significant weather event happening somewhere but I’m sure that AccuWeather will have that also.

AccuWeather is a pretty stale network if you ask me. The on camera meteorologists are just so fake and speak like actors playing news anchors in a movie. Their programming is pretty watered down, doesn’t have smooth transitions between segments and always is centered around the northeast. Their coverage of severe weather is also lacking and is pretty sad. Overall, the AccuWeather network is just a sad ripoff of The Weather Channel + WeatherNation.

Well, reading all of the complaints here, I’m not sure that is true, luesjo12.

The only complaints I have with TWC are the Local on the 8s and not enough severe weather coverage. I find nothing wrong with the talent on TWC. The talent on TWC doesn’t lack charisma and they certainly don’t sound like drones.

Forgot to add: While TWC has at least two full screen local forecasts, AccuWeather has no such segment dedicated to your forecast.

I tend to agree, Cathie. I’m not as fond of a few of the newer on-air meteorologists these days – I guess I’ve already made that known – but I still find myself addicted to TWC. I tune it out when there is someone on I think below previous standards, but I always return. And personally, I enjoy the programs that show us how folks have to cope with extreme weather here and there. I’m thinking they generally are doing a pretty good job. And Cathie, I couldn’t sign up for a TV package without The Weather Channel included. Just wouldn’t do it. I don’t watch any of the so-called prime time garbage offered these days – sleaze, trash – and I won’t pay for premium movie  channels, which is such a waste of money, but I will always have to insist on TWC as well as Nat. Geo, History, Travel, etc. Are you sure you can’t get them to include that channel?

My problem is the ability to “move on”.  While TWC launched in 1982, I started to watch it in either 1990 or 1991.  From then on to 1997 or 1998, I was obsessed with this channel and would watch it every chance I got.  I was particularly fond of The Weather Channel in 1993 and 1994, but I also loved 1996 because…well, Trammell Starks!

Once WeatherStar 4000 was replaced by WeatherStar XL, that did it for me.  I was no longer obsessed with it.  Still, I watched it for local forecasts and a few meteorologists that got my attention if you know what I mean.  Now, I rarely watch it at all.  To get local forecasts, I mainly use a WeatherStar 4000 emulator for my hometown.  And, there’s YouTube and Google Images for a few meteorologists who still get my attention.

But, this will never be like it used to be in the 1990s for me and I miss it so badly.  I loved the jazz music played during local forecasts.  I loved the graphics, maps, icons, and the way the meteorologists did their forecasts back then.  I also loved the many segments that played on TWC.  How many of you remember the following segments below?

• Boat & Beach Report
      • Skier’s Forecast
      • Good Morning Forecast
      • This Morning’s Weather
      • Good Afternoon Forecast
      • This Afternoon’s Weather
      • Good Evening Forecast
      • This Evening’s Forecast
      • Holiday Countdown (often, before Christmas)
      • The Weather Classroom
      • Weekend Outlook
      • Weather Scope
      • Winter Storm Update
      • Business Travel Forecast
      • 5-Day Business Planner

…and countless other segments.

Also, back then, Jim Cantore had HAIR!  In addition to Jim Cantore himself, I also loved Bill Kineely, Dennis Smith, Rich Johnson, Jeanetta Jones, Marny Stanier, Jeff Morrow, Mark Mancuso, Vivian Brown, Declan Cannon, Jill Brown, Dave Schwartz, and whoever else I forgot to mention back then.

Note: Are Jill and Vivian Brown related?  They both have the same last name.

I keep wishing for a time machine, but nobody ever takes me seriously.  While I’m most obsessed with the 1980s…as that was my childhood…The Weather Channel is one of the big reasons why I want to also return to the 1990s.

Either make TWC return to its former programming and bring back the WeatherStar 3000 and 4000…OR let me have a time machine so I can take it back to when all of that existed.  One or the other.  I won’t take a third option…at least, not without angry complaints and probably severe outbursts.

I somehow get the feeling that The Weather Channel has become more interested in personality promoting than getting right down to business with the weather. There are still those meteorologists who I trust and who seem to be still on the ball – rather like the old days when we all tuned in to the Weather Channel for – gasp! dare I say it? – actual weather news. But far too many of them seem more concerned with how they look, how they perform, than getting down to brass tacks and simply dealing with the information we so much need and want from them. What happened? A few of them got too much publicity perhaps and liked it and the station decided to head off in that direction? I don’t know. WE don’t know. But what we DO know is we want our weather back. We want to know what’s going on with the weather! Is anyone out there paying any attention? If you’re not, sooner or later, a real weather channel will pop up and you’ll be left with an audience of nothing but people looking to be entertained with a pseudo Today Show or Good Morning America affair. Because we’ll go with the real weather people. Trust me on this.

I fondly remember the days of Cantore’s “storm stories” and the TWC specials sold on VHS.  Some of the female meteorologists were stunning – my favorite, Karen Minton.  What a lovely!…until Cam Carmen came along!!

Somewhere along the way, the Weather Channel lost sight of their mission, and they decided that they needed to be an entertainment channel. Sorry, but I don’t tune in to a channel named after weather to see Ice Road Truckers or Why Planes Crash (and I won’t even get into that stupid space weather program). I thought about this when TWC and DirecTV were having a contract dispute, and TWC on-air personalities were on Facebook trying to get customers to tell DTV that they were endangering their customers by not having TWC on. Yes, seeing Alaska State Troopers saved my life. A lot of customers were telling them exactly what I am saying here, that they aren’t really about weather anymore. Change the name and be honest about it.

Also, whose asinine idea was it to begin naming winter storms like hurricanes? Nobody else does it, it isn’t going to catch on, it’s stupid. Just stop it.

You know, the Weather Channel is not that bad right now. They got a new look last year. It’s the Local on the 8s that need a change. They need to change it to real music because their music is just sound.

Even rap would be better than what TWC has on the LOT8s. (Sorry for the NWA lyrics. I was ArsenalFan at the time trying to feed the troll AndyMoserWeather. I’ve now grown, realizing trolls need to be ignored. I’ll try to redact the lyrics later.)

What’s also sad is the decline of this forum. You can report a troll to the moderators and they won’t do anything. Very pathetic.

(Continuing from my new account FooFighter’s comment)

Any song, ANYTHING, will be infinitely better than TWC’s “music”.

Redacted

Reply to The Sad Decline of our Beloved Weather Channel

X

Join the We Love Weather Community

You’re trying to access an exclusive feature–and trust us, you don’t want to miss it!

• Access Exclusive Content
  • Receive Weekly Newsletters
  • Post Your Weather Photos
  • Participate in Our Forums
  • Create Your Own Profile

What are you waiting for? It only takes a minute to join!

Already a member?