Shameless self promotion from Mark Elliot

started by MarkElliot, February 27, 2017
4 replies to this discussion
    • Expert Member

Hey We Love Weather peeps!  I just published a rather long article about one of my favorite topics…. the origin story of various popular weather phrases.  If you’ve ever wondered if there is any truth to the saying, “red sky at night, sailor’s delight,” if you’ve ever wondered why we say it’s raining cats and dogs, or if you question why you are under the weather when you’re sick, I’ve got all the answers!  I’d love to hear your thoughts and other weather phrases and folklore you have loved through the years!!!  https://weloveweather.tv/explanation-behind-12-common-weather-phrases/

• Sam

I think they say ” You are under the weather when you are sick” because when you are sick the weather outside may be great but you feel bad. Sorry if that doesn’t make sence.

My friend and I have always said when theres a “good” rain storm…”it’s pouring bullfrogs”!  Also, I fully believe that when theres a red sky at night, sailors delight. Red sky in the morning, sailors take warning! For the most part, im pretty sure that the saying “holds water”.

• Expert Member

I’ve heard that variation with frogs before too! The reason I was once given was that it rains so hard that frogs can’t jump out of it and drown so frogs start washing down the road!!! I love frogs so that one was too dark for my taste. Haha. Thanks for writing in!

My friend used to say that more than I. She was raised in S. Carolina. She pasted last year at the age of 76. You are welcome and I like frogs too.

Reply to Shameless self promotion from Mark Elliot

X

Join the We Love Weather Community

You’re trying to access an exclusive feature–and trust us, you don’t want to miss it!

• Access Exclusive Content
  • Receive Weekly Newsletters
  • Post Your Weather Photos
  • Participate in Our Forums
  • Create Your Own Profile

What are you waiting for? It only takes a minute to join!

Already a member?