Remembering Barbara Bush

started by ChristianBuerkle.GFW, April 18, 2018
8 replies to this discussion
    • Good Morning Everyone, Today we remember former first lady Barbara Bush and mother of former President George W. Bush. She died last night at the age of 92. She will be missed very much. And also she had her favorite drink bourbon. Barbara is also survived by her husband of 73 year and former President George H. W. Bush. Rest In Peace Barbara Bush. ChristianBuerkle.GFW

Why should anyone remember anyone who has passed, especially if they’ve had no personal contact with that person.  Mother passed at age 87.  It was a long life not particularly distinguishing,…other than the heated, frequent arguments she had with father.  There really is nothing to be said positive of our species.  We destroy natural habitats. We pollute the air and water.  We can’t even get sensible regulation on leaf blowers and lawn maintenance.  It’s not about co2, though it’s probably wise to further reduce carbon emission.  It’s about the habitability of the planet.  The antithesis of Mr. Trump, President Macaroon, of France, said it best.

• Manowx, I think you have a very interesting perspective, commonly but mistakenly embraced by many science-minded people. It seems to me that you’ve adopted an anti-human worldview, with the goal of saving the planet. But what is the purpose of saving the planet if there isn’t anyone to live on it? Mourning those who have died (whether or not you knew them personally), is about remembering the impact that person had on the world. Many people have made great impacts on the world; some good, some evil. Not everybody will be a global-scale world-changer, but everybody does make a difference to somebody. That deserves respect, if not because you knew them, then because you respect their family. A remembrance post, to me, does not seem like the right place to bring up anti-human, pro-earth rhetoric. It is an issue worth discussing with an open mind, but it feels pretty insensitive now. Mrs. Bush was a wonderful woman who deserves to be remembered for a moment, without our personal views or politics getting in the way.

If you take a large-scale, broad approach to the problem of environmental regulations and global warming, both issues far too complex to go into here, that will leave you with a hopeless hatred of humanity. And while it is true that the damage done by humans to the environment is extensive and that we should take active measures to remedy it, look at the progress we’ve already made. And instead of constantly lamenting our hopeless and destructive lifestyle in relation to the environment, take action. It is very true that actions speak louder than words. Start with little things, like recycling, and go from there. It’s amazing the difference a single person can make. An inspiration of mine is Allan Savory, who is actively fighting desertification in Africa through alternative agricultural methods. Here’s a link to his Ted-Talk: https://www.ted.com/talks/allan_savory_how_to_green_the_world_s_deserts_and_reverse_climate_change

I hope that you will watch this with an open mind, and will search after truth above all else. Humanity is very, very, far from perfect, but nothing except nihilism lays down the path of anti-human sentiments. Best of luck as you continue.

The recycling industry is not a little thing.  It’s huge, it’s energy intensive, and it’s polluting, and it’s not anywhere close to what’s needed. ( Many objects in the stream are not recycled )   Other endeavors such as solar and wind power generation are also problematic  Only so much can be done, given the constraints. In the end sustainability and biodiversity means fewer people.  Ironically, President Trump whose only treasured green space is a golf course, is making an unwitting effort by trying to reduce legal immigration.  Otherwise, Trump, an enabler of economic freedom is an enemy of nature. There’s no dispute.

• The only thing I can say now (knowing that since there is “no dispute” it would be pointless to offer counterpoints) is go watch the new Avengers movie “Infinity Wars.” For a fictional tale with fantastic plot-lines, creatures, and super-powers, it does have a very relevant discussion about whether or not it is worth “removing” some life to protect and enrich others. Worth watching. I hope you see the value in the ongoing intellectual discussions about the conditions of our planet and what we can do to improve them, without harming human life. There is always a debate.

if you have counterpoints, I would like to be edified.  “No dispute” could just be my presumptuousness.  Have at it!

• What does that mean?

it’s a fancy word for arrogance

• Solar and wind power are definitely flawed systems, and it may not even be worth making solar panels until we can find a more efficient way to harness the Sun’s energy. But they are still largely in the development stage, and there are other sources of alternative energy, such as plant fuels. This, combined with recent advances in agriculture, could significantly reduce global environmental impact.

Agriculture is moving farther and farther away from traditional techniques into more and more efficient ones, like hydroponics, aquaponics, vertical gardens, indoor farming with LED lights. Of course, all of this still requires energy (everything does), but it requires significantly less energy than traditional farming techniques. If these were more widely implemented (for instance, if an eco-friendly farming act was passed), the reduction in impact on the environment would be huge. It would also provide jobs for many people. As far as ranching and animal agriculture goes, the TED video I shared earlier explains it better than I can, but there’s a way for that to be a positive impact as well. The main problem as far as agriculture goes is that the large majority of what Americans consume was grown outside of the US with very bad techniques like slash-and-burn. I was recently in Malaysia and I saw slash-and-burn palm groves for the purpose of creating palm oil, and it was awful. The entire world needs to get on board with conserving our precious resources; the world is an investment, and if not properly handled, could have disastrous results for everyone involved. There are countless ways to conserve and handle our world carefully, but the problem isn’t humanity itself. If anything, we’re the solution. The problem is the large-scale lack of cooperation toward protecting our most valuable resource. We may all live in different countries, but we all live on one Earth and it is our job to manage it properly.

Reply to Remembering Barbara Bush

X

Join the We Love Weather Community

You’re trying to access an exclusive feature–and trust us, you don’t want to miss it!

• Access Exclusive Content
  • Receive Weekly Newsletters
  • Post Your Weather Photos
  • Participate in Our Forums
  • Create Your Own Profile

What are you waiting for? It only takes a minute to join!

Already a member?