Red sky in the UK

started by W3TB, October 16, 2017
5 replies to this discussion

Hurricane Ophelia picked up sandy dust from the Sahara to color the skies a red-orange — rather unusual so far north.  I have seen that happen in Spain but not in England.

The story contains a satellite photo showing the circuitous routing of the sand — very interesting to see.

Good wishes to all!       Ted Edwards

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/<wbr />news/article-4985116/<wbr />Hurricane-creates-red-sun-<wbr />skies-England.html

Ted, the Saharan desert dust is a colossal health hazard for those who suffer from allergies and/or asthma, including those with chronic health conditions.  Yikes!

Let us pray for the best in both the United Kingdom and the Republic of Ireland.

🇬🇧 God save our gracious Queen / Long live our noble Queen / God save the Queen / Send her victorious, / Happy, and glorious / Long to reign over us / God save the Queen

🇮🇪 Soldiers are we, / Whose lives are pledged to Ireland. / Some have come / From a land beyond the wave. / Affirmed to be free, / No more our ancient sireland, / Shall shelter the despot or the slave. / Tonight we man the “bearna baoil”, / In Erin’s cause, come woe or weal / ’Mid cannon’s roar and rifles’ peal, / We shall chant a soldier’s song!

For a Welsh ancestry guy like me, we could include Land of our Fathers…

Deploying with the Navy to the Mediterranean area in the past, we would often see the reddish dust in the air and settling on the ship’s deck when in Rota, Spain — also an arid climate not disconnected from North Africa.  What amazed me in this event is to see some of it get carried all the way to Britain and Ireland.  Amazing!

@w3tb,  ♪♪ Country, country! Faithful I am to my country! / While seas serves as a wall / For this land so pure, / O, may the language endure forever. / Wales! Wales!  Favorite land of Wales! / While sea her wall, may naught befall / To mar the old language of Wales! ♪♪ #longlivetheWelsh 🙂

Maybe on St. David’s Day, March 1, we could have a Gymanfa Ganu here.

I had to look up Gymanfa Ganu & found this site http://www.nafow.org Do you sing?

Reply to Red sky in the UK

X

Join the We Love Weather Community

You’re trying to access an exclusive feature–and trust us, you don’t want to miss it!

• Access Exclusive Content
  • Receive Weekly Newsletters
  • Post Your Weather Photos
  • Participate in Our Forums
  • Create Your Own Profile

What are you waiting for? It only takes a minute to join!

Already a member?