Please bring back the local on the “8’s”.

started by Keebler21502, April 21, 2019
26 replies to this discussion

Looks like the local weather is totally gone now!  We have tolerated getting local weather two time per hour go over a year. With local not shown now have to find another source of local weather?  Please consider bringing back the local weather we need!

The Weather Channel has been working to restore most of their services after a malware attack on their systems. This is most likely why you aren’t seeing your LOT8s. Hopefully soon they will be able to restore the LOT8s.

I certainly hope so.  There are ZERO local forecasts, not on the 8’s, not on the map, not on the bottom of the screen.  They don’t even mention a location less than several hundred miles away.  Renders the channel useless.  Twice an hour is still a little sketchy.  4 times would be much better.

I miss them sooooo much! I don’t don’t even get the 2 per hour some people say they still see!

I’m switching cable carrier next month-one that will have MY local weather reported more diligently.  I tolerated LOT8s the 2/hr, but with all the bad weather here lately, I need a better reporting of my local weather like The Weather channel had before.

I guess I will not watch TWC ever again until they bring it back. Because I, along with others, really do miss the old Local on the 8s forecasts. TWC does not want to listen to our feedback.

Peace out, The Weather Channel! I guess I’ll get weather from another source and continue watching soccer. Fun fact: It’s more often that goals are scored than LOT8s are played.

• The Weather Channel does not care whether you watch it or not, so protesting or being demanding is not going to help anything. By the way there is a solution to the problem Download for FREE the Weather channel app then you can get your local weather to your heart’s content anytime anywhere that’s how come I don’t mind the changes

Do you realize not everyone has a smartphone and many have depended on The Weather Channel for 35+ years for Local Forecasts? The network was founded upon the basis of delivering weather information to the viewer that is important to them which a large part includes local forecasts. Not everyone has access to The Weather Channel app. Not everyone wants to do the new stuff. They’re angry because TWC has really shortened something that has been an important part of their network for the 36 years TWC has been on air. Let them air out their frustrations. This is a forum for weather geeks and weather geeks want TWC to hear them, so why can’t they explain that here?

Furthermore, I’d like to reiterate something someone posted here a while back. If their protesting and them demanding the LOT8s come back is not going anywhere and they should stop, then why is it that TWC themselves asked all of us viewers of TWC beg, plead and demand that they return to DirecTV and Verizon fios? If they can ask us to do such a thing why can’t we do the same to their own decisions that lead to them being dropped in the first place? This is why so many are frustrated.

• @luesjo12 I 100% understand what you are saying about smartphones as I don’t have one either, but there is also the website.

I have the app where the radar freezes all the time.  I could tune in to see weather on the 8’s with a full screen of radar….. much easier to see locations and boundaries.  There is so much repetition in an hour on the TWC I think they could resume weather on the 8’s no problem.

Fine, if you do not listen to our complaints, and will not change this horrible new ‘non-local on the 8s’ set up, then this is all I ask :

Keep the local weather map on the bottom hand screen, 24 hours a day.

There is nothing more important than seeing the radar, especially during rain or snow storms. Telling us only what the temperature is during a big storm, does nothing for us.

Keeping the map on all the time, you can still show all of your commercial shows and weather coverage. Please consider this, otherwise, there will truly be no reason to watch your channel anymore. I can just stick my head out the window and accomplish getting the same information your channel currently provides, unless you keep that local map on, all the time.

Please consider this idea.

Thank you……….

• If local on the 8s is gone. I will be saying bye bye to the weather channel. I have it on for  a couple hours a day at least. Without my local on the 8s I will no longer tune in. IT SUCKS without the local weather like it used to be.An unhappy viewer who may no longer be a viewer.

<p style=”text-align: center;”>I’ve actually noticed the same thing, and a new addition.</p>
    <p style=”text-align: center;”>The sidebar has an Emergency Feed like forecast and radar, which might be a relief for some of the people of the forums that wanted a radar near the LDL (Lower Display Line)</p>
    <p style=”text-align: center;”>Cjnator38</p>
    <p style=”text-align: center;”></p>

Please bring back the local weather. I am also now using alternative weather sources. Big disappointment, I am not really interested in daily weather reports for towns 100s of miles away!

• The Weather Channel covers national weather, so we shouldn’t be so upset about local on the 8’s. If you want to get local weather watch your local tv news’s weather report, or look online at websites like Weather.com has a radar or Accuweather.com. I have learned to deal with it, because twice an hour is plenty when the weather is calm, but when there is severe weather or snow, especially here in Eastern North Carolina The Weather Channel is usually talking about it.

How many viewers have to ask you to bring back the local on the 8s before you accept that this is what is wanted? The sidebar doesn’t cut it. And the graphics along the bottom are annoying with all their movement. As a matter of fact, you can have your moving graphics; they are old hat; everyone has them. I just want the local weather. Yes, I can look it up on my smart phone, but I’d rather glance at the tube which is already turned on and hands-free. Stop trying to be the everything channel and just be the weather channel. You don’t know a good thing when you have it in the palm of your hand.

Yes, bring back the WOT8s. Also tell us where all the regular on-air meterorologists have gone. Has your budget been cut so much that you only need 4 people on air in a day? What has happened to TWC? It won’t hurt you to let your loyal watchers know what’s going on. Truthfulness is not completely gone from all TV, has it?

• You all know that now on the sidebar is constant radar from 5am to 8pm ET

It seems that the weather channel has decided we need to see more of the meteorologist, and their weather channel produced tv shows, than seeing an actual weather forecast. The local on the 8’s as we knew it is virtually nonexistent. I got a large screen tv so I could actually see and read some of the information on the screen and then along comes this new format and now it’s is smaller on my screen than ever before. This new format of a lower thirds forecast and a map of the right of the screen doesn’t give you an audio forecast which if a person is visually impaired or just wants to hear the forecast as they go about their daily household business, now can’t. It also seems like a solution to just about everything is get an app! Maybe I don’t want an app! What next the weather Channel? Maybe, the Movie Weather Channel – where they show movies like Twister, Earthquake, or The Day After Tomorrow. Bottom line, do a few those TWC produced shows, make stars out of the meteorologist, give us more scientific information than we ever need to know, but with all that just give us back the good old local on the 8’s format.

I am pleased to see full-screen LOT8’s back twice an hour but would rather see it more often.  It was most useful 6 times per hour.  One could simply wait a few minutes and catch it before heading out.  I suspect that when people requested more time with the meteorologists they meant more hours of actual weather and fewer hours of entertainment reality dramas. I realize and accept that your reality dramas (loosely weather-related) probably “pay the bills” although I do not watch them.  I doubt that anyone actually wanted you to do away with full-screen LOT8’s in order to have a few more minutes of live coverage OR of pre-recorded segments with the meteorologists.

In sum, if I could design the perfect Weather Channel, it would have full-screen LOT8’s every 10 minutes and few to no reality dramas about tow-truck drivers or rock-hounds digging in the mountains or sea rescue teams, etc.

I reiterate from my previous post: if you need the revenue from ad sales during the dramas, perhaps a “Weather Channel 2” could be launched and one channel could be all about revenue generation with the other being all weather forecasting.

Thanks for decades of weather forecasts.  You have been an important part of my daily life, but as you become less about weather forecasts, you become less relevant, and less important to me.  If I wanted to get my local weather forecasts on the tiny screen of a smart-phone, I would not need the Weather Channel.

• @a.North I think you are probably right, and I like all of your ideas

I do miss the Local on the 8s. Not only were they full of information, but I also enjoyed the music along with it! Lol.

Someone said that we should sue the Weather Channel as the change could cost lives. We have been waiting patiently for over a year. I’m not even sure if that is a good idea.

It is costing lives. Going to the commercial when there is a tornado on the ground does not give people crucial information for their safety. That is unacceptable.

The Golden State Warriors blew a 3-1 lead in the 2016 NBA Finals after going 73-9 in the regular season.

lol isn’t this a thread about Local on the 8s?

Reply to Please bring back the local on the “8’s”.

X

Join the We Love Weather Community

You’re trying to access an exclusive feature–and trust us, you don’t want to miss it!

• Access Exclusive Content
  • Receive Weekly Newsletters
  • Post Your Weather Photos
  • Participate in Our Forums
  • Create Your Own Profile

What are you waiting for? It only takes a minute to join!

Already a member?