Old Farmer’s stellar winter outlook 2020

started by manowx, February 17, 2020
2 replies to this discussion

I give them an A+ for New England  All others D to an F.  Of particular note, Eric Fisher WBZ, formerly of TWC.  Called for a harsh winter consecutive years.  Just the opposite has occurred.  Deplorable!   No fellow forecaster at WBZ endorsed his outlook.  At least they saw the writing on the wall after last winter’s fiasco.

This “Winter” has been one of the worst ones I’ve endured in recent years.  Snowfall has been extremely limited.  At best, we may have gotten 3 inches this entire season so far.  Cold air has also been very limited.  I don’t know where you live, but around here in New Jersey, cold snaps are very brief and last only 2 or 3 days at a time.  Yet, unusually mild spells last for days or weeks.

I had high hopes that we would get a nice, cold and snowy Winter when November was nice and cold with a little bit of snow.  December started out nice and cold, but suddenly, it turned warm about a week or so before Christmas.  This killed any chances for a “White Christmas”…something I haven’t seen since the 1990s…as well as my high hopes.

January was ridiculous, to say the least.  At least two days reached 60°F or higher…and some locations got to near or about 70°F!  In a way, it reminded me of 2018 when a couple of days were well into the 70s and one location in New Jersey topped out at 83°F!!  That was in February (2018).  I wonder if this February (2020) will do the same since January was too warm.

What happened to Winter?  I remember when Winter used to be very cold and snowy when I was growing up in the 1980s and 1990s.  Abnormal mild spells back then were not very common and when they hit, they were considered “flukes”.  Now, it’s just the opposite.  Cold spells are now the “flukes” and mild weather is the “new” normal in what should be the “coldest” time of the year.  Sad, isn’t it?

I’m on the North Shore of Boston.  Winter 2020 may be the 2nd warmest!  The trend is clear; milder winters, less snow.  The last snowy winter, 2014-15, but even that had a lack of snow until late Jan.  There’s no consistency to winters anymore  Several winters in the 1960s and a few in the 70’s were consistently cold.  Even the few snowy winters in 1990s were not cold on a consistent basis

Reply to Old Farmer’s stellar winter outlook 2020

X

Join the We Love Weather Community

You’re trying to access an exclusive feature–and trust us, you don’t want to miss it!

• Access Exclusive Content
  • Receive Weekly Newsletters
  • Post Your Weather Photos
  • Participate in Our Forums
  • Create Your Own Profile

What are you waiting for? It only takes a minute to join!

Already a member?