Local on the 8s are being reimagined!

started by We Love Weather Brandon, April 3, 2018
160 replies to this discussion
  • Verified Member

For those of you who have not yet checked your email, we wanted to pass along some exciting news!

Many of you have told us that you want to see more of our trusted weather coverage and we’ve taken note. Starting today, we will be extending our live coverage by up to 10 minutes per hour, giving you a chance to dig even deeper into the weather affecting you each day!

In order to give you more screen time with your favorite meteorologists, we figured out a way to collapse some of our Local on the 8s so that they run during our live segments. Where you used to see our traditional Local on the 8s segments, you will start to see the same weather information displayed along the right side and/or bottom of your screen.

We hope you love the changes and we look forward to hearing your feedback! Many of you have been loyal fans for over 35 years and we are excited to continue to evolve along with you to create an even better weather experience!

I am NOT happy. My provider is Fi-Optics through Cincinnati Bell so I do not have a side screen. I want to see the maps and there is no map showing. Today is a dangerous day for weather with flash flooding a focus on AMHQ but I couldn’t hear the commentary that was being provided by Stephanie, Jim, and Kelly BECAUSE THE WEATHER SCROLL ROBOT WAS TALKING – over the meteorologists and the ads. I can not read lips. You pay these professionals good money. I want to hear their commentary especially when the immediate danger is in my area. I watch weather patterns and miss the 7-day forecast which seems to have disappearing also, not run often at 20 and 50 on the hour.

BRING BACK LOCAL ON THE 8s! Please …

Local on the 8s is the main reason I tune in to TWC, as often 3-5 times a day – because it is good information overall.  Looks like I’ll have my morning cup of coffee at the computer instead of in front of the TV. I do not use a smart phone. The information at the bottom of the screen does not provide me the information I want in a timely way.

Becky Linhardt

Artist/Photographer/Writer/Designer

• Verified Member

Hi Becky,

Thanks for giving us your feedback. While we certainly didn’t want to upset any of our loyal fans, we received a lot of feedback about viewers wanting to see more weather analysis from your favorite meteorologists. By moving the Local on the 8s to the bar, The Weather Channel is able to give viewers more of what they want.

Would you be able to clarify what you mean when you say the “weather scroll robot” was talking? Where is that audio originating from and what information is is stating? And is it talking constantly or just during a certain time?

Thank you!

Haley,

I have been a loyal fan of this network for 20 years, but you can have more air time for the meteorologists without cutting the LOT8s. Please reduce the longform programming. There was a severe thunderstorm in my area, and instead of seeing Dr. Forbes, it was Highway Thru Hell. Nobody watches TWC to watch these shows. We want to see the real weather.

You will lose me and many others as viewers if you guys decide to get rid of LOT8s. Hell, even Nick Saban shouted you guys out multiple times, saying he likes to watch the LOT8s with his coffee every morning.

LOT8s needs to be full screen. I have a hard time seeing the “little corner.”

Change the music on the LOT8s also. The same monotonous production music has been playing for 5 years. That’s just the epitome of laziness. I liked it when it was changed monthly.

I like the programming that the Weather Channel provides, usually at night and during off hours.  It seems to me that anyone can get local severe weather info from their local TV channels that is more exact.  Our TV stations here in Michigan will provide live coverage during severe weather events until the threat is over, preempting regular programming.

Most people, including myself, do not like the long-form programming. I understand it at night, but I would prefer to see live weather coverage on Saturday/Sunday Evenings and not Highway Thru Hell.

TWC has the resources to be the best at all weather coverage when they care to do it. Even if I don’t live in a specific area, they do a good job detailing the weather (tornado, for example).

I think a good time for TWC programming would be:

Weekdays: 5 am to 10 pm Eastern

Weekends: 5 am to 6 pm Eastern

All other times would be fine with their other Highway Thru Hell or whatever shows. The more important thing we want is live weather coverage.

Do not need meteorologist training –  need continual weather updates…please bring back local on the 8’s  that’s why I’ve watched for years

i miss the local on the 8’s  when I want to see it I DONT.   Than if I have to wait I am not near the TV to see it  I think there could BE LESS TALK OR SEE the same Video for 3-4 Days Or the SAME video 16 X a DAY  I want MORE LOCAL ON THE 8’S Please for Me TOO

I totally agree. I hate the new “L-Bar” Local on the 8’s. Like if a watch is issued. It’s very helpful (Non L- Bar). But I have to wait till it goes to the location I’m in.(L-Bar) TWC does not care about non-famous cities like LaGrange in Georgia. Instead it focuses on a city that has a 1 hour drive. And about the 10 minute extended coverage.. Your coverage is not even local. But when a Warning is issued.. You make it local! Wow. TWC is so not better than all the Local Weather Channels I have. Guess I will move to PA or KY just to get weatherscan or watch Local Now on my phone.

• Can you change your provider to a good one?

Really? While we do love our favorite meteorologists, we depend on that Local on the 8s for OUR local weather. Entertaining as it is, having the attention of the ‘celebrity’ meteorologist’s attention zeroed in on the west coast or the east coast or where ever the most photogenic or drastic weather is – is NOT all that helpful to the rest of us. Yes, we want to see and hear it all, but NO we don’t want to give up our local weather news to do so. Bad decision on your part, folks. Bad.

• Verified Member

Hi @amazedhuman! Thanks for your feedback. We are still showing the traditional LO8s twice per hour and the rest of the time your local forecast information will be displayed on the bottom and side of your screen. So the same information you know and love will still be available, with more live, uninterrupted coverage!

No, I don’t watch the weather on the big TV set here, I have a small set that sits beside my computer – that I’m working on all morning. The weather running along the bottom or the side isn’t even visible – or only partially so. It’s NOT the local weather news I’m ‘used’ to seeing or hearing and it’s really infuriating.

• Verified Member

I understand! Viewers will still receive two of the original Local on the 8s full screens during the :18 and :48 portion of each live hour, so the traditional style isn’t completely going away!

You clearly do NOT understand. Do you think she (or anyone) has the time to wait a half hour, let alone want to check their phones? Some people would rather check their TV. Stop acting like an Xfinity sales representative and LISTEN to your viewers.

It’s upsetting for me to have to complain about The Weather Channel, since I’m a huge fan of it, but this has been the largest change that is going to alienate a loyal viewer base. People watch The Weather Channel for the full screen Local on the 8s where their Local weather information is provided without interruptions, not redundant information which is literally shown all the time or for one of the awesome TWC meteorologists distracting them while they try to get their “condensed” weather information. This change has really upset a lot of people I know that watch for the information as now they have to wait until :18 and :48 for the full info. This also presents issues for those on the Standard Definition feed who can barely read the information presented on screen, and for the visually impaired who depend on Vocal Local for their forecast. Honestly, coverage could have been extended a different way, while still retaining the full screen Local on the 8s. I ask, like many people, that these changes be reverted to the way they were before. I know that Local on the 8s is being reimagined, but nobody asked for it to be changed. 

I’d love for this to receive updates and turn out to be a better update, but I have to agree with the whole standard definition feed thing. To elaborate, regular 4:3 standard definition isn’t the problem (as a matter of fact, it’s beneficial for those with older TV sets like me), it’s the letterboxing of the 16:9 high definition feed onto the SD channel that’s the issue, causing the picture to be of significantly lesser quality. For people like me with abysmal eyesight, having the LF information in fullscreen and not only on the bottom of the screen really helps, but I’m welcome to the new update as long as I’m not 100% stuck squinting to see it. My local cable headend had the normal SD TWC for only a week- yes, only one measly week– before switching to the letterboxed version without reason, and I’d love to have the real 4:3 feed back again.

• Verified Member

Thank you for your feedback, @luesjo12! The Weather Channel did receive a lot of requests from viewers to extend our live coverage and have fewer interruptions, and with this change we’re able to do just that.

Thanks for responding Haley, but it’s evident that these changes aren’t what we wanted. More and more people are coming forward with their concerns. Hopefully you can take our opinions into consideration, because we didn’t ask for a revamp of the Local on the 8s. I’m sure coverage could have been extended some other way while retaining the old format of Local on the 8s.

You got the wrong idea Haley.

• I do not like this change at all. I think you misinterpreted people wanting more weather coverage. We meant that we don’t want to see silly programs like “Highway through Hell.” We didn’t want to lose our “Local on the 8’s” It is important, particularly during severe weather season, to be able to see the full screen radar. I rely on it to keep track of thunder and lightning. (When you have dogs that are afraid of storms, it’s an invaluable asset.) It was comforting to know I could check it every 10 minutes. We lost Weather Scan and now this. Please change it back. Local on the 8’s is an important part of the Weather Channel.

• Verified Member

Hi @lee@scopeinteractive.com! With the new Local on the 8s format we can extend coverage during each live programming hour up to 10 minutes, which is something our viewers have been asking for. The same local forecast information will still be available at all times at the bottom of your screen, and you will still be able to see full screen Local on the 8s at the :18 and :48 mark of every hour.

You’re going to take this same speech to the grave, aren’t you, Haley? You’re in denial. Nobody likes the changes. This is nothing but a very risky tactic to cut costs somewhere.

EXACTLY!!

I agree with most of the replies here. Local on the 8’s needs to be in full screen and more often. Like it used to be. Also, the way you have it now is very hard to see it. Too small. And what about the blind people that listen to local on the 8s? The way you have it, there is no narrative. Also, I think the weather people in the morning speak TOO fast. They could be auctioneers. (just saying)

Hi folks. I think one thing that would help a lot would be the implementation of several of the Local on the 8s products that aren’t currently in the lower or side bar, including things like the extended seven-day forecast. I remember several years ago a “squeezeback” local on the 8s concept was piloted, which kept the live studio fees visible but dedicated most of the viewing area to local forecast products. If there’s a way for you to enlarge the lower and side bars during the local timeblocks, I think that would go a long way toward helping improve the product! Thanks for listening!

Edit: it looked a little like this…
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGj0WVqJqGg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Sh2RCBAunc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsxBGeQzBIY

• Verified Member

Hey @mhamberger! We appreciate your feedback and will definitely pass it along! Thanks for reaching out.

What most of us wanted is extended hours on the weather channel. Like since we don’t get more live weather after 8pm Eastern time we wanted more hours we didn’t want the local on the 8’s to be less.

No one requested the Local on the 8s to be reduced to two times per hour. This is terrible, I cannot get my local information like this. And don’t respond to me with the same comment – just do it. Byron Allen got the wrong idea. We want more live programming per day, as in less TAPED programming. Not Local on the 8s.

• Verified Member

Hey @mikechrome, the Local on the 8s layout change was in the works long before Entertainment Studios became our owners. Thank you for taking the time to tell us how you feel, we’re trying to collect as much feedback as possible from our viewers so we appreciate it!

• I do not like this change at all.

We’d prefer less original programs, not less Local on the 8’s. The amount of original programming has gotten ridiculous too. I get up late on weekends, and most of the time, I can’t even see live coverage at all, because I’m in central time and by 11:00 am, live coverage has already gone off.

Change it back, please.

I really would like to know where all those ‘requests for extended coverage’ came from. You know – and we all know – that the coverage for anything drastic or newsworthy is already extended to the point of ad nausea and that’s okay. We’re all fascinated by the extreme weather, no matter where it is, even while we are feeling sympathy for those involved. But to further extend that coverage while taking away what the majority of us have to be watching for – the part that is important to OUR day and OUR plans- is ridiculous. Somebody really didn’t think that out. And we do appreciate the fact that the Weather Channel is now a ‘celebrity’ channel with devoted fans and whatnot…but hey…enough already. We don’t need the Weather Channel to be strictly an entertainment network. You’re supposed to be there for some serious reporting – of the weather. Of our weather, all of us. Rethink this change, as it seriously is not a good one.

I’ve been talking to other Weather Channel viewers for over 20 years. Not once have I heard someone complain that you showed the local forecast too often. Nor have I heard anyone say “I wish I could get my local forecast while someone else is talking on TV.” Horrible decision.

• Verified Member

We really appreciate everyone giving us their thoughts on the new Local on the 8s change! We’re taking your feedback into consideration and will continue to pay close attention to what our viewers are saying. We want to give everybody the best weather experience possible!

I’ve seen a lot of complaints about these Local on the 8s changes, and four months later, nothing has happened. If you really were listening to feedback, you probably would have done the changes everyone actually wanted.

If you actually wanted to give the best weather experience possible, the local forecast would play every 10 minutes, not every 30 minutes.

I think what we wanted when we said “more live coverage” was to have extended coverage past 8pm et

• To paraphrase: don’t tinkle on my head and tell me it’s raining. All this really did is take away all but 2 “traditional” LOT8s.

The current “re-imagining” basically puts a LOT8s logo in the corner. The sidebar features the same information it always has – radar/almanac – which in and of itself is a big cutback from what was featured on the sidebar when “Weather All The Time” started.

The bottom just cycles through the same information that’s featured all the time. Not sure what the reasoning was behind leaving the LOT8s logo up constantly in the lower left. Looks weird.

As far as I can tell, the only reason that LOT8s didn’t just go away is because that could impact cable partners who have sold the local scroll ads.

If you’re going to pull back on LOT8s – just do it.  Call the fullscreen the in-depth Local Forecast at :18/:48 past the hour, make it longer, return features that were cut back over the years (ironically, ones that are currently featured on Local Now like Regional Conditions/Forecast), and keep the existing info for the other times.

The TWC local forecasts tend not to be the most accurate,  As I can get frequent weather from NECN,  I welcome the change.  During severe season I would rather see TWC personnel providing details on storms, not that my area has a high frequency of such.  Moreover, most people, myself included, have screens large enough to read a crawl or side-bar.

I miss the Local on the 8’s …    I love all the meteorologist,  But  the extra “minutes” don’t tell me at a glance what I need to know.

We have a saying in Vermont, “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.”

This is good.

Said no one ever.

Local forecasts ARE live weather coverage!  They are the bread and butter that the network was founded on.  This was a complete mis-interpretation of what many of us are looking for.  YES! we want more live weather (INCLUDING local forecasts).

I am perfectly OK with original programming (a,k,a, ‘longform’ shows) as many of these programs are actually good – although they are re-run over and over.  If there were six real local on the 8’s per hour during these shows, many here would likely not complain as much.

The powers-to-be better re-think this change quickly.  Severe weather season is here.  Don’t make your loyal viewers go to the inferior Weather Nation or somewhere else to get weather when they want it.

Aha! Back it all the way up folks and catch that…..long before Entertainment Studios became our owners…. Now it becomes clear. Every single time something gets sold it gets spoiled. It’s very likely all tied up with some executive trying to figure out how to get more profit…Can we say GREED, children? I think we can. Somehow this ‘brilliant’ decision has something to do with the powers that be there raking in more money. Well, guess what…if you lose a ton of viewers because we’re not getting what we want, oops…there go those extra dollars.

This is a silly decision that needs to be retracted.

• There has been no local weather information since April 1.  There are “Local on the 8s” sidebars and a crawler but they are not providing local info.  There is no compelling reason to watch The Weather Channel if local weather news is not included.

I really hope you all realize how important full Local on the 8s is for your viewer base.

Also, side note, I saw this glitch on the LDL where the Live programming LDL products were being shown over the Longform LDL. I think implementing those regular LDL products into the longform LDL is actually really nice and I’d like to see if you guys could consider that.

I am happy that there is more live coverage because I get really annoyed seeing 8 min. of coverage followed by 5 min. of commercials (no offense) but as long as you have the local on the 8’s about 3-4 times during commercial brakes, I am fine with it.

I am not happy with the changes and agree with most of the comments about. Maybe the extra time allows more commercials instead of weather. I like the weather anaysts but most of the time they are talking about weather elsewhere that does not effect me. Local on the 8’s does.

You’re not alone in this, and I really want TWC to see this… majority of people want their local on the 8s on all of the 8s… Come on TWC… what’s it going to take to eat you to acknowledge this on your own forum?

see below

This change ran me off for good TWC  and I’ve been watching since your inception. Side bar now? Really? So your people can pretend to enjoy their jobs for an extra 10 more minutes??  You mean no more suffering thru tons of commercials to NOT  see my local on the 8?  Hmm,  just as well.  The local on the 8 was the only thing we got from TWC as you have always ignored the West unless we are in crisis anyway.  What about Alaska and Hawaii?  Yeah.  I thought so.  Bye.

The primary, if not only, reason I ever watched TWC was for the Local on the 8s segment. Now that TWC poobahs have chosen to effectively remove that segment, I have chosen to no longer watch TWC and instead get my weather information elsewhere; specifically, the local Spectrum (Time Warner) News channel, which provides local weather throughout the day every ten minutes (“local on the 1s”). I encourage unhappy viewers of TWC to do likewise. Perhaps THAT will get their (and their sponsors’) attention.

Honestly you guys, many loyal Weather Channel fans miss how you guys handled your station in the 90’s. Of course technology has rapidly evolved since then but sometimes it’s best to stick to your roots! Just check out the many YouTube videos of TWC fans upload. The feeling is THICK with this one. I also agree with fellow WC fans. Please, reconsider the format. 

Either way, I’ll still be a fan…just passing along my personal observations!

🙂

Why would you cut back one of the best things on the weather channel??? The local on the 8’s need to longer than a minute. I miss the local on the 8’s from 2012 with the smooth Jazz and 2 plus minutes long.

Bring back Local on the 8″s s as it was. There is way to much going on on the screen now. And the new format doesn’t give the local information we want. I have been watching TWC since the beginning and this is definitely the worst move yet! Bring it back!!

Please, please bring back local on the 8.

I love how many people have complained about this and nothing has been done… I invite TWC to check their Facebook page.

The Local on the 8s was extremely important during the hurricane season.  Last year’s was awful and frightening for the area where I live (So. GA).

Now, no longer available, I see no reason to continue watching TWC.  Get rid of the ‘shows’ and put on more weather that is pertinent to our specific areas.

Adios, TWC!

Thank you for speaking out. Hopefully they will realize they’re being really stupid.

I would like to meet the person who made the decision to change the local-on-the-8s so I could shake his/her hand.  That way, when I’m old, I could brag to my grand kids about the time I met a real live dumb ass!

If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. They’ve made countless dumb change one after another.

TWC, rewatch footage and LOT8s from 2002. It was better then than it is now.

Not one person in the history of this planet turns on TWC to watch your discovery channel shows. We want to watch weather. Y’all just play those shows to save money and not pay your meteorologists. You’re not fooling this cat.

Yep!! Bad move…

woah, the local on the 8 only 2 times per hour? no 3 TIMES minimum! i can’t wait 30 min. for the local on the 8’s. what if a warning is issued and I don’t have my weather radio near me? I would never know.

Can’t read that tiny scroll; tiny box with local radar barely readable; scroll moves too fast to absorb information; don’t have time in the morning to wait half an hour for Local On 8s and even when it finally appears, can’t read it! This is now useless to me. I’ll need to find some other way to get our local weather to get my day started and plan for upcoming days.

Where is my original post in this topic? I posted a month ago saying I initially made this account for the specific purpose of speaking out against the new changes (and hopefully TWC employees would read my feedback). Hopefully it wasn’t deleted on purpose.

People are speaking out. Way more people are against the changes, so why are the powers that be still so set on keeping them?

On what platform were people expressing their dislike for the way the Local on the 8s was then? Because I will gladly call whomever to express my disgust of having to wait 30 minutes for a full-screen Local Forecast.

The corner is too small, and the talking meteorologists are distracting when I’m trying to look at the information. I’ve already started getting weather from other sources, and others are doing the same. Listen to your viewers. The money you will lose with the downfall of the network will be much more than any extra ad revenue or whatever you will receive by doing what you are doing.

I have been a fan of this network for over 20 years. Do not fiddle with the roots of what made you great, as long as people still like what you are doing. Very dumb move. You will regret it in the future when ratings are poor. Mark my words.

I honestly believe this was a huge misunderstanding of what we actually wanted. Nobody asked to axe most of the Local on the 8s time slots. Local on the 8s is the bread and butter of this network. It doesn’t take a genius to know that… I mean the network was founded upon the concept. This change was poorly executed and does not reflect what most people wanted. I seriously ask TWC ago revisit these changes.

My “sidebar” LOT8’s just show local radar, sunrise and sunset times, and moon phases. VERY helpful. 🙄

Does anybody really believe that people were requesting more live meteorologist coverage? I’m throwing the BS flag.

I think it’s very BS. Nobody on here was complaining about anything before.

If anything, I wanted longer local forecasts like they used to have! They used to have the perfect amount of information on everything, and it was local and relevant to us–the viewers!

I want more live coverage at night & weekend afternoons!!! Like kvanbe1, I want longer lot8’s w/ more info.. like it used to have.

No full screen on Locals on the 8s? Collapsed to a small window to the right of the screen just for add’l live meteorologist coverage, which is usually about other parts of the country than in the Dallas area. Don’t understand how this decision was made. Unable to really view the radar map, and the present temp and forecasts are difficult to read. Why collapse this vital source of info. Am searching for another source of local Dallas weather conditions and forecasts, think WFAA has a channel for this. PLEASE consider reviewing this action!

So my local area only broadcasts in 4:3 and while I was okay with it for the past nineteen something years (if anything I prefer it, it’s more comforting and is easier on the eyes when reading text) now I miss most Local on the 8’s and have stopped watching unless It’s like six twenty six and I know I can catch it. From, a northern Wisconsinite (I don’t remember the last time you guys talked about us, not enough record breaking snowstorms this year, eh?)

WOW, busy topic! 🙂

I stopped watching LOT8’s years ago because they got rid of MICROCLIMATES.  They just show the airport conditions, which isn’t “local” to me.  I’m a long way from it and never go anywhere.  So I could care less about the weather at the airport.

I don’t have a smartphone or computer.  The TV works just fine for me, since the forecast is supposed to be on on the 8’s.  But if there’s severe weather going on elsewhere, they don’t show it on full screen but shrunk to the bottom.

Also, they show more info than before but it isn’t useful to me.  Like they show the hourly forecast or chance of precipitation every hour.  This is the parched Southwest, so of course the chance of rain is 0% every hour!  And I don’t care about the hourly forecast when I’m asleep, but they show that too.

Sadly, I get a much more detailed and LOCAL forecast from my local news or stations like NBC.  They show the forecast for the deserts, mountains, coast, and urban areas.  These are microclimates.

TWC used to have funny scenes before the local forecast, like this one of a guy walking slowly until he comes across some isolated rain, then he runs through it.  After that, he walks slowly again.  It may not be a real person but I liked it so much I taped it.  I thought it represented “local” really well and in an entertaining way.

Even with my glasses, I have a hard time reading what little info they DO show on the side in a tiny square or on the bottom of the screen.  Thank goodness I can get my local weather from channels like CBS.  They even give me an almanac, the high/low and sunrise/sunset times—something TWC used to show on the local forecasts, YEARS and YEARS ago.  I think it’s been at least 10 years now.

HOORAH, full screen locals8 has returned to Dallas TX. as of 05/11/18.  Thank you for listening to your viewers!

Wishful thinking. You just happened to catch one in the 30 minute interval they do them on at the :18 and :48. That’s probably the worst time to do it, because most people watch after other shows at the :28 and :58.

Some sort of person with power in this scenario, let us know what the hell is going on with this please. Bring back the local forecast and “reimagine” them to be longer again like they used to be.

I don’t think my earlier post posted, but if I duplicate, I apologize. The gist of this post is to reiterate others’ dislike of this change, but also to iterate that this change actually causes me to watch LESS of TWC and to often switch to a local scrolling map instead.

Of course I would prefer to see/hear LOT8s every 10 mins instead of seeing/hearing the meteorologist talk about areas of the country that affect me.

Note, the smaller version is not easy to see or gauge the day(s) ahead and quickly as you get ready to leave for work! Please bring back the full blown LOT8s right away!

If they do not do it soon, I am quitting TWC. Plain and simple. Stupid people are making these decisions.

I honestly believe that the changes made to the network in terms of modified local forecasting cues were going to make The Weather Channel fall with it’s views. Additionally, the fact that Weatherscan is being dropped from major networks and having no 24/7 weather information, this will definitely have an impact with customers. You could’ve at least improved the LDL, rather than just putting up that Local on the 8s banner which literally changes nothing on-screen.

In addition to that, they could’ve made more views if the LDL featured detailed forecasts and the 7-day outlook. Now this is my opinion here, but the reality shows aren’t necessary. There are other networks like National Geographic that can air these. The LDL during longform is also too short and slow.

In conclusion, the changes look nothing like what “viewers wanted.” This looks like something made for those who decided to drop something so useful and handy in our lives. It’s also making me want to find a different weather network, which definitely gives great coverage and information. Sure I’ll keep watching TWC for coverage, but definitely watching a different network during reality shows.

This really alienates long time viewers who watched for only a local on the 8s.

Bring it back! local on the 8s part of TWC

Hey Haley… admit it. The ONLY reason you cut the local on the 8s is to increase ad sales. Anything else is unadulterated corporate bs. I can guarantee you that no one – NO ONE – asked for more “expanded” weather coverage. That’s nonsense. You wanted to ramp up ad revenues and this was the fastest and easiest way to do it. Period. Now I have to sit through even MORE sleazy pharmaceutical ads before I can find out if it’s going rain. Great.

Curious to see how much your advertisers will be willing to pay for ad time when they see your viewership numbers plummeting because your once loyal audience doesn’t WANT to stick around for an hour to catch the locals. You’re selling out years of good will and extreme loyalty for a few extra bucks today. Well done.

Honestly, I expected much better of the Weather Channel. We all did.

This is as well said as anything else so far.

TWC is going to be gone for good if they keep neglecting what the viewers want. The last thing viewers wanted is more ads. They are probably making more for ads because so many people are still tuning in at the 8s only to see commercials with a little bar of weather information.

They are in dangerous territory right now.

I hate it when people say “viewers want” or “American people want” or “people want” or “polls show”, etc.

That’s because nobody asked ME, and I didn’t “want” this yet I’m a “viewer” (well, USED to be actually).

Sometimes there’s no full screen or full LOT8’s but a tiny bar at the bottom with commercials.  AND, the info at the bottom is irrelevant to me.  I mean their idea of “local” is the forecast for a city over 25 miles from me!!  Really!

TWC are the experts, yet I get better local forecasts from networks like CBS or ABC.

Even the cable company has a channel that shows traffic and weather, and their forecast is more local than the TWC’s.  As said earlier and in another thread, I just don’t watch TWC now.  Nothing relevant to this part of the country (SW).  It’s like they think it’s the Old West still, when most of the population was in the East.

Hey, we’re here!  The West is inhabited for over a century now.  🙂

Here’s my two cents on this fiasco.

You (The Weather Channel), said that you did this because we (the viewers) wanted longer programming and more air time with our favorite meteorologists. Your “attempt” at giving us what we “wanted”, if it can even qualify as an attempt, was half-assed and not what anyone wanted. Your claim further substantiates your disconnect with your viewers as most of the people on this forum thread have been vocal about not being asked by You (TWC) or sent some form of survey or questionnaire. Therefore, your claim that this is what most of your viewers wanted can easily be dismissed.

Let me take you (TWC) through some history.

•  In 2010, you urged your viewers to bring you back to DISH Network, and thanks to the help of millions of viewers programming was restored in a matter of 4 days.
    • In 2014, you urged your viewers once again to bring you back to DIRECTV, and once again thanks to your millions of viewers, your programming was restored to DIRECTV in a matter of months.
    • In 2015, you urged your viewers to, you guessed it, bring you back to Verizon FiOS. Once again, millions of frustrated customers voiced their support in restoring your programming. Although our (viewers’) efforts proved fruitless, you had our support through it all.

So here is the thing. You (TWC) said we (the viewers) wanted it. Let me make this really clear for you. Nobody on this forum asked for Local on the 8s to be changed this way. Not once was anyone asked about it.

As easily as we (the viewers) got your programming restored on the major cable providers, we can easily get you dropped from those networks again. You have dissatisfied us time and time again, promising in 2014 that you would minimize reality programming and saying so again in 2015. Not once have I seen such a reduction, and instead we got the half-assed attempt at having a way to say you gave us more air time, which nobody wanted while still keeping the reality programming nobody watches.

TL;DR

Nobody from the viewer base was asked or wanted these changes.

Be Careful (The Weather Channel), We the viewers can get you dropped as easily as we got your programming restored.

Couldn’t have said it better myself. This basically sums up what I thought about this.

TWCBrandon,

Would you mind telling us if any thought has been given to change the LOT8’s to how they were before? I think the collective opinion has been given here, and it’s not positive to the changes.

I would also like to know if our commentary has been taken into consideration or promptly discarded into the trash can. Seems like that’s the case right now….

• Verified Member

Yes, we have been collecting viewer feedback across multiple channels since the change was put in place! As of now, there is no plan to switch back to the original Local on the 8s format. If anything changes, this forum will be the first to know!

Even though that is not the response most of us want to hear (I’m still looking for anybody that is in favor), I can at least appreciate your feedback and the update nonetheless.

Haley, How many people are for the change, versus against? Have you got any numbers?

Good point.  🙂

I certainly wasn’t included in anything about “what our viewers want”.  Hence, I’m not a viewer anymore.  My solution is to look elsewhere for my local forecast since they are not listening to us.

I’ve tuned in now and then to see what they are covering, and it’s always weather 3,000 miles from me.

I don’t like reality shows like Highway to Hell.  They show endless repeats of that shows and others like it all weekend long.

And how come I don’t get notifications anymore when people post in a topic after me??  And on that note, I posted that question in the Site Suggestions forum since I didn’t know where else to post it.

I can’t find it now.  I don’t know if it was deleted or what?  🙁

I just found this by randomly looking, that new activity occurred after my last post here.

Those are good points. The full-screen LF did the best job at addressing the weather for local areas, even out on the west coast, where the weather coverage isn’t usually focused.

I will not be ugly or name call, etc., but unless things improve on the network or positive changes are made, this is my goodbye to the network and this site. I voiced my opinion for the changes, and I did what I could, but it’s up to the people in charge now to listen. I did not appreciate the LFs as they were enough until they were gone. (Someone will say they still play on the :18 and :48, but every 30 minutes and at the worst TV times are not good enough for me.) For a network like TWC that has broad weather coverage across the nation, keeping the local element is crucial for the viewers and their lives. The reimagined LOT8s are just not getting it done for me and many others.

As one who understands the current business model, I understand the importance of innovation and changing things up to avoid becoming stale, but you can’t remove what is part of your core. The change made here is like Facebook getting rid of status updates, or Burger King deciding to remove burgers from the menu. Minor tweaks are good, but drastic overhauls are not. A good change to the LOT8’s would have been making them longer again and updating the music that has been playing since the end of 2013.

Until brighter days, I say goodbye to everyone, and keep loving the weather.

• I do hope they reconsider bringing back local on the 8’s for every 8 and full screen. I was one of the people who got the survey asking if we wanted to see more of the Mets. I interpreted that as meaning fewer of the reality shows and more weather. I would wager that if you did another survey asking if everyone preferred the old or new Local on the 8’s, close to 100% would prefer the old way.

When they first rolled out the “Weather All the Time” back in 2013, I was excited. I feel like The Weather Channel seems to be removing more and more information from the lower display and the sidebar in HD. I wish that they would just put the design they way they had it when they first came out with the current design layout.

For the designers of the current graphics system, I would like to see weather at the bottom of the screen even during the primetime shows. I have directv and all I see during the shows is just the weather channel logo. I have also wondered why during the daytime weather reports, why did they change the weather channel logo to say local on the 8s under the time?

As much as I like the current design and layout of the weather channel, I wish they would quit changing the graphics and removing information such as the news ticker that scrolled next to the time. I would also like to see the local on the 8s during the shows like they did with the previous IntelliStar system.

I was able to find what The Weather Channel looked like when the current graphics were released and what they look like now.

BEFORE (When the current layout was released):

NOW:

Personally, I like the before picture. It gives you more in depth information. Even though the 1st picture is from a local weather channel feed and the 2nd is the national feed, I feel like the way the weather channel was before (when they first released “weather all the time” was better and more in depth.

Is The Weather Channel even “weather all the time” anymore????

There is a way to give us more in depth weather coverage, QUIT SHOWING THE SHOWS LIKE HIGHWAY THROUGH HELL AND ACTUALLY TELL US THE WEATHER AND NOT CUT THE LOCAL ON THE 8S. Bring back programs like First Outlook, PM Edition, and other shows that The Weather Channel quit doing to show reality shows. I think the founders of The Weather Channel would be very disappointed in how much time is spent showing ads and reality tv shows than actually giving the weather report.

If you want to do local on the 8s during the weather reporting, do like what was done before and do a local on the 8s squeezeback (pictured below).

I hope someone from The Weather Channel will take my ideas and other fans ideas into consideration. There was a simply better way of doing things without removing the Local on the 8’s.

I would like the current date and time included on the screen too, which is something the local news does on channels like CBS.  Go figure, and they are not even a “weather channel” yet I get more info from THEM.

I hate stuff like Highway to Hell.  🙁  They show ENDLESS reruns of shows like that all weekend long.

I don’t even see the squeezeback anymore.  And I don’t know if Spectrum is doing this or TWC, but now there’s this UGLY background of a bunch of ugly houses.  It used to be scenery relevant to the current season, like now that it’s summer I used to see a summer scene.  (Like a shot of the beach or a meadow of flowers or something)

LOL, I don’t know why I keep venting when nothing is going to change as they told us.  I guess cause I know my fellow weather enthusiasts “feel my pain”.  🙂

Trust me you’re not alone in this, I know a lot of people who depended on TWC for weather who are very upset about this whole situation.

I quit watching this channel as soon as they stopped the old style “Local on the 8s”.  Haven’t watched it once since!  If it comes back, send me an email!

Me too.  I actually have old footage on one of my VHS (yes, VHS) tapes.  I liked it so much I recorded it.

It shows a silhouette of a guy walking slowly along the beach.  He comes across an isolated shower so he runs through it.  Then, he’s walking slowly again.  Really symbolic of “local” and kind of funny too.

I don’t think it’s a real person but CGI.

I suspect the real reason that Local on the 8s was reduced to twice an hour is so that more commercials can be shown. in a 1-hour period.  I doubt anyone cares about additional screen time for your meteorologists. We actually need less screen time for some of them, like Stephanie Abrams.  Her Barbie Doll schtick is getting old.

Because of the LOT8s logo at the bottom of the screen now, how will affect when TWC goes in to severe weather mode? (red TWC logo and black background.)

That’s a very good question. It’s probably going to revert to the red TWC logo (in fact I think it does).

Putting the LOT8s logo was a dumb idea. When a viewer tunes in to TWC, they expect to see the channel’s logo, not a logo of something they probably don’t know about. Now I’m never watching TWC again.

Please listen, I only went to the Weatherstation because of Local on the 8’s. Now that it is gone with over sensationalism of the weather and the constant drawing of circles on the weather map I am gone. Thank you, K

Here’s another problem with this situation besides that we can’t always wait 20-30 minutes for the full screen Local on the 8s. Occasionally, you go commercial free for awhile when there’s a tornado warning underway, or, in the case from 10-11am ct, for coverage of the duck boat being lifted, and there wasn’t a full Local on the 8s between 9:48am and 11:18am ct, if we’re in a big enough hurry to wait 10-20 minutes for it, we most certainly can’t wait another 30 minutes, or worse yet, another 30 after that for it. It dosen’t happen too often, but when it does, it adds to the frustration of having to wait too long for the real thing, as we then have to wait another 30 minutes, when we’ve already waited up to 20 minutes. I think you should just go back to airing them on all the 8s during live programming, and only skip any if there’s commercial free coverage of anything that might be going on at the moment. A good idea for the Local on the 8s thing on the sidebar would be to use it during long-form expect for :18, as that’s the only time a full screen local is shown during those programs, since we could at least see radar on the sidebar without having to wait until the next :18 during those programs. Obviously, nobody likes it over the real thing, but during long-form, it always was accepted to have only 1 an hour, and the sidebar could be used to hold us over until the next :18, with the live programming LDL also kicking in for about a minute when the sidebar comes on. I really think you should put all this into consideration, and I want everybody’s opinion, including Haley’s, (or whoever might be working when reading this) on my ideas.

The weather channel should go back to having the full local on the 8s and should have the bar with text working. Also put the weather channel logo back to because it looks like it seems it’s the local on the 8s channel. Please change it back and please also use red mode when it’s needed don’t stop using it. It was used last year and it was good you brong it back please change it back please.

In 2013 you guys did a good move but now In 2018 it seems like you are giving us less weather on the bottom of the screen too. Also add back severe storm music if a tornado out break is on and if something is severe it too dangerous activate red mode. The viewers want too see red mode more often when severe weather hits and more extended hours of the weather channel. If you listen to the viewers you will get more viewers on your Channel and it will progress more please listen to us about this thanks.

If you guys keep the graphics like this will red mode with the graphics still be activated during severe storms?

That’s what you guys need to use again when severe weather hits

this is with the new update if you guys can do this we would love it in red mode with the graphics

I was an avid viewer until you all turned away from live weather after 8pm ET and noon ET weekends. I watch TWC for weather, not highway thru hell, or anything else. But I feel like as a person writing this review, I’m just wasting my time. Let me know when y’all become The Weather Channel again.

• I hate this.  It has completely ruined my morning routine.  For YEARS (seriously since middle school, about 2000) I have used the Local on the 8s as a timing method to keep me on track in the mornings.  Since this change, I’ve been struggling to get out the door on time.  I know this sounds ridiculous but it’s true.  The two times you chose are AWFUL and I can’t catch either of them when I get ready in the morning meaning, I basically never see my Local on the HALF HOUR anymore.  I’ve always been a huge fan of TWC and have sang your praises for years but now I feel like my mother got arrested and I don’t want to talk about it to anyone, be associated with her, or recommend her for anything.

I get that “people wanted more coverage,” I understand the rationale, although it has been misinterpreted (maybe purposefully), so you don’t need to repost your explanation.  It’s been said a million times and will be said a million more, that we didn’t want the Local on the 8s removed – we wanted less commercials!  I understand from a business perspective you have to play them, that’s not the point.  The point is, that is what the people were asking for.  Nothing is more annoying (except for losing the Local on the 8s) than when you guys come back from a commercial break for like, 15 seconds – THAT’S what the people wanted changed.  AND IT’S STILL HAPPENING ON TOP OF IT ALL!!  You hardly extended anything, I get the feeling the extra time has been split with the broadcast and the addition of more commercials… >:(

Also, if your reasoning for less Local on the 8s is because people wanted more weather coverage, than why doesn’t it go back to every 8 minutes during the random shows you guys play???  Those are most definitely not considered ‘weather coverage’.

I also agree with a number of people above.  While the shows you play are interesting, I’d rather have actual weather coverage go longer into the night and extend the amount of weather coverage you show that way – while keeping the Local on the 8s.  Hardly anyone is watching TWC for the random shows – please don’t go the way of MTV – a weather channel that doesn’t actually play the weather…

As a side note, you can’t call it the Local on the 8s if it’s not on the 8s – just sayin.

AT THE VERY LEAST YOU COULD GIVE US MORE THAN TWO AN HOUR!!!

sweetnsour2128 – I fully understand the ‘morning routine’ thing. It doesn’t sound silly at all. It’s about how I feel now with the CBS Sunday Morning Show since it was ruined by the loss of Charles Osgood and the unfortunate acquisition of Jane Pauley. My Sunday morning – for decades – was perfect. Breakfast, the Sunday paper and CBS Sunday Morning With Charles Osgood. No politics, just entertainment. Alas….Much like the Weather Channel restructuring the Local on the 8s. Such a shame when something perfect is wrecked.

Am I the only person who gets their local weather from their computer?  I find it to be the most accurate for my exact area and I commend Weather Underground for their very precise dopplar radar.  I can watch storms approaching my area and as soon as it shows a storm moving overhead on the radar, it starts raining.  Many of the others will show it raining on us and the sun is shining.

No, I’m sure you’re in the majority….

But there’s still us dinosaurs left, who prefer the “old-fashioned” TV.   🙂 If they are not going to go back to what it was, I don’t see the point of them being on TV period.

Not everyone can afford a computer, tablet or smart phone.  And some people are concerned about privacy and security.  As long as I can still watch an old-fashioned TV, I do it.  🙂

I’ve stopped TWC since they don’t show LOCAL weather the right way anymore.  They don’t even cover the Southwest enough.  I’ve recorded a bit sometime, then fast forwarded through the coverage of weather 3,000 miles from me.

Amazed Human, I also miss that as part of my old morning routine.  I used to get not only local weather but traffic conditions from TWC.  But that was over 10 years ago.  I now turn to other networks like my local CBS station.  They even show the high/low along with sunset and sunrise times (which I’m obsessed with, LOL esp. now that we are losing daylight)

BTW, I should be getting notifications on this topic since I’ve posted in it.  But I stopped getting them.  I just happened to see this topic had recent activity while browsing.  🙂

I don’t understand how they say they’re listening to us but if the majority of this thread says that the changes were unnecessary and are not what we want, then why hasn’t anything changed? I really do feel like nobody is listening and even if they are, they don’t honestly care enough…

If it ain’t broke don’t fix it.

Yea I agree with you they should make a change if a lot of people are writing about this issue. It’s like they don’t care any more to be honest.

I do get my forecasts rarely now, because I decreased how often I watch TWC because of the LOT8s change.

Now I go on the Weather Channel’s website, but it often does not work. TWC’s website had no issues until a few months ago. Sometimes the current conditions do not appear. Or the radar. I wonder why.

To the Weather Channel, please stop making changes that we never wanted, especially to your website; it works terribly now.

I think in general, companies don’t listen to their viewers (or customers anymore).

They say they do, but if that was the case, this thread wouldn’t be so long, LOL.  And there’s multiple threads on this subject alone.  🙁

Not to mention the hundreds of posts on Twitter and Facebook about the changes.

Also I’ve been noticing the weather channel has been slacking on there graphics too what’s going on with them

I will echo the sentiment of the other posters here by saying this change has been incredibly disappointing. Not only has the same piece of horrible music been playing for the past 5 years, but the time allocated to the best part of the channel (Local on the 8s), has been cut in half. While I agree that pursuing more live weather coverage is a worthy goal, you guys should have reduced the number of commercials or reality programming instead of the local on the 8s. I will join the chorus of people saying “Change it back”.

One fact that I can think of is that they promised a couple of years ago or so, they were going to reduce the reality shows, however they kept it the way it was for  some time.

They recently changed the showtime for Weather Underground, which starts at 5 PM Eastern, however that doesn’t help at all. In fact, Weather Underground is my least favorite in terms of coverage. Before this change, they had Local on the 8’s on :18 and :48 only. Now with this change, it’s applicable every coverage time.

Why doesn’t The Weather Channel listen to what the viewers want? Is it no wonder that they’re seeing their views fall, because every year it’s something getting removed? They got rid of the headlines crawl, now what’s next to move on to the graveyard?

And now that Weatherscan is long gone from my lineup (thanks Xfinity), there is no other place to find coverage, because Xfinity only carries The Weather Channel and not the other weather-related networks in the U.S. The local news does not help. In fact, why should it be more reliable? You have to wait an approximate 15 minutes just to get your forecast, and it’s not available for the longest time as TWC.

So think again representatives of We Love Weather, your answers are repeatedly telling us that you divided the time of the traditional local forecasting, the local news being an alternative, and saying that this will extend coverage. Extend coverage? It only extended one minute. The problem is, you took that time from Local on the 8s to make money from showing ads.

Yes I totally agree weather center live is better in coverage and I feel like weather underground should be a night show like from 8-10PM.

• Dear Weather Channel,

I like and appreciate you guys for giving us weather information when we need it. But, let’s face the facts: the vast majority of your viewers are not happy about the change to Local on the 8’s and the additional commercials. Local on the 8’s were a great way to get local weather, and your idea of changing it was not the best idea in many people’s eyes. Please, if you must change the Local on the 8’s, don’t shorten it. I personally don’t know any viewers who like extra commercials. We love the weather, especially where we live, so this is a dealbreaker for many. Keep it amazing out there.

Sincerely,

WeatherWizard109

Dear Weather Channel,

You started it all.

You revolutionized TV with the launch of the Local on the 8s. You paved the path for weather coverage. You opened the door to a new untapped sector of the news media world that no other company had dared to go before. You started it all.

Things have for the most part stayed the same, and coverage (while now sparse) is still of the best quality. Your coverage is unmatched in a world of taped forecasts and reruns of the same Northeast forecast from two hours ago on some no name “weather network”. You started it all, and most certainly have kept it going.

Now, I know that keeping old traditions in a new modern era is hard. I get that. I’m sure everyone in this thread understands that concept (Well, most people). However, in this case, you’ve changed something you didn’t need to change.

There was nothing wrong with having Local on the 8s every 8 of the hour. There was nothing wrong with 2 minute local forecasts. There was nothing wrong with 1 1/2 minute Local forecasts. There was nothing wrong with not having more coverage from our favorite meteorologists just to have our Local forecast.

The name is simple. Local on the 8s. It implies a local on every 8 of the hour, or so it did. You say the new local on the 8s is new and improved, but it doesn’t take an idiot to know that what you put on the screen is just some stale weather information you’ve tried to revive with a Local on the 8s logo plastered on the screen. Let me remind you that you started local forecasts and they are your most valuable assets, yet you seem to let them stagnate and deprecate like dead fish that wash up on the shore.

You’ve said repeatedly that this is what your viewers wanted, but every person in this thread has said otherwise. Let me reiterate that just so you don’t ignore it for the 112th time. This thread has over 100 posts, and over 5,000 views, making it one of the most viewed (possibly even most viewed) thread on We Love Weather. Months after these changes, the thread is also the most active. Around 95% of the replies on this thread outline how bad the changes were. Not to mention the hundreds of Social media posts about the changes which highlight viewers’ dislike of the change. Alas, these are seemingly looked over and “collected” but my assumption is they just get discarded as what we have now is working, I guess.

I may sound furious, and that’s because I am. Well, partially furious. I’m a fan of The Weather Channel. I am also one of the millions of viewers. I am part of that group of people you touched. Your amazing coverage and prestigious local forecasting technologies sparked an interest in weather and instantly made me a fan. I want you to listen to me and the hundreds of thousands of people who want you to know that there was nothing wrong with Local on the 8s. These changes were unnecessary and do not reflect what the viewers wanted.

You started it all, and you can start it again.

Sincerely,

-luesjo12.

• Well said luesjo12. I agree. I love the Weather Channel but it’s value to me has decreased without the Local on the 8’s every ten minutes.

I feel like the Local on the 8s being removed down to 2 times per hour was just a way to make more money on advertising. If we wanted more coverage, The Weather Channel should try removing the reality shows and put the Local on the 8s back to normal. The selling to NBCUniversal and then to someone else was the downfall of TWC and the start of the reality programming that is so out of place on The Weather Channel. It is The Weather Channel. NOT The Weather & Survival Channel, The Weather & Highway Documentaries Channel, or The Weather and Advertising in anyway possible Channel. It is The WEATHER Channel.

Couldn’t they do a weather scan type thing during the overnight hours instead of reality programming? Just show weather information for national weather and have the IntelliStars overlay the national weather with local information and then when AMHQ Early comes on in the morning, switch to the broadcast and when Weather Underground is done, switch back to the information. THAT would get viewers back and would make the weather channel much much better!

That would be a good idea but the weather channel never listens to what we want that’s why they are getting a decrease in people who watch it.

Not a big fan of this change.

I have been watching the Weather Channel since the mid 2000s. The Local on the 8s is a big reason why I watch TWC.

Like many of the comments here, it is not a great decision – many people like me rely on the LOT8s for their weather forecast. Having it twice, at the :18 and :48 minute mark, is not enough. It was better before April 2018; it should be on every “8s” minute mark. I do not want to wait 30 minutes for a local forecast, especially given that a lot can change in half an hour. Now, to get a LOT8s style forecast, I have to go on TWC’s website (it’s actually not working at all as of 8/21, the website is glitchy).

I wish the LOT8s would go back to the way it was before November 2013; in fact, the November 2013 changes were the main reason I almost stopped watching TWC.

The LOT8s were much better back then – I’d rather take smooth jazz (sometimes the LOT8s would play a variety of other types of songs) over TWC’s music. Today’s LOT8s occasionally, about once a week, has smooth jazz. A two-minute local forecast provided other things such as the almanac, school/commute forecast, etc. The new forecast goes directly to “Today/Tonight” after the Doppler radar, while the old forecast had all those things between the Doppler radar and the “Today/Tonight” section. I earlier gave my feedback to TWC to make these changes. Unfortunately, they didn’t happen. If you look up videos of pre-2013 LOT8s forecasts, you’ll see what I mean.

Weather coverage should go past 8 p.m. EST (5 p.m. where I live); having that would be much better, especially with comments wanting that rather than the reduction of the LOT8s. When the Discovery Channel-style shows or whatever that is airs, I get to view the LOT8s only once per hour, at the :18 minute mark. Maybe extend weather coverage to 11 p.m. or midnight EST?

Please, the Weather Channel, I hope you actually will take all these comments seriously/into consideration, especially for me and a lot of other viewers.

Thank you.

Whats interesting is that they have more primetime shows than actual live shows where they give the weather report according to the Weather Group website. And not even half of them they even show on The Weather Channel. With all of the comments on this page, has The Weather Channel heard of “majority rules”. They just need to bring everything back to the way it was. There was nothing wrong with the way The Weather Channel was before weather all the time or right after weather all the time launched. Apparently, all they care about is ratings and money and not their loyal viewers and fans.

Not even one representative from The Weather Channel has responded to this forum in months. They just don’t care about us anymore.

I’m surprised someone hasn’t started a petition on this issue.

Haley responded a few months ago when I asked if our feedback was being considered. We’re not hearing anything back because no changes are coming on this issue, as disappointing as it is. I’ve already switched to getting my weather from my local news and their app, and I don’t regret it at all at this point. One thing local stations have over TWC is that their meteorologists only forecast the weather for your specific area, so it’s usually more accurate.

I’ll check back periodically, but I don’t expect any changes if nothing has happened by now. It’s just wasting my time. It’s like the old saying goes: Why waste time trying to be friends with someone if they don’t want to be friends with you?

Very true, The Weather Channel has gone down hill a lot and with out the bar on the bottom and the Local On The 8’s at the bottom the screen doesn’t feel right. Hopefully they would change this!!

If the Weather Channel was really listening to our feedback, I would have not seen a thread started today (8/27) about the Local on the 8s.

Please listen to us, TWC, everyone wants the old format back; if nothing happens, a large, yes large, drop in viewership will result. In fact, you have already had a decline in viewers due to these changes.

The last time anyone from the weather channel responded to any of our comments was in April and it’s now August almost September.

There is another thread here: “Please listen to us and bring back local on the 8’s”.

I wonder why the Weather Channel is not taking all these comments seriously. I might consider not watching TWC anymore. The Weather Channel, please listen. If you do not want me and other viewers to put watching TWC to a halt, do something.

If TWC wants to keep losing viewership, they can go ahead and continue to not do anything.

TWC, please make us feel better by restoring an old format.

I know I keep repeating, but I don’t see anyone requesting the LOT8s to be shown every half hour.

Please, do something; everyone would appreciate it.

It’s 9:00 and I’ve been watching TWC since about 6:00 I think (weather survival marathon or something). Not ONCE have I seen any LOT8s. However, I have seen the same Tropical Update every 15 minutes or so. I live in Michigan and while it’s important for some to stay informed, I would prefer to see my local weather instead. And the crawler is blank. Thank God for my computer, otherwise I’d have no reliable weather source!

When a tropical storm is going to hit, The Weather Channel only shows the Local on the 8s during their programming, but never during their reality shows. When there is no tropical storm, they play the local forecast only once an hour. Clearly not enough.

@haleybrennan, @brandon_uffner, look at all the comments about the local forecast on this site – we would be very happy to have it back to the previous format.

Earlier today throughout 4 to 5 pm PST, I saw absolutely NO Local on the 8s. Instead they were just reporting about a tornado or some storm somewhere.

Does anyone realize that the local weather for the viewer’s location is important? Why would they put a phone call with someone reporting about a local area’s storm than our weather?

Now I have to go on the Weather Channel’s website to get a Local on the 8s-like forecast. It actually is messed up, sometimes the Doppler radar does not load (but you refresh the page a few minutes later and it works). Sometimes the current conditions section does not show up at all. It never used to be that way. In fact, you put the weather headlines above the forecast on the website.

Please fix your website and the LOT8s.

I could be wrong, but something keeps telling me that we may see another update in November, and it may be another negative change, here’s the reason, for 4 straight years in November from 2012-2015, there was some change to the graphics and/or the on-air appearance like this;
    On November 12, 2012, the morning programs were relaunched, and when that happened, all the LFs weekdays from 4-11am et became 1 minute long, which would happen to all programs by April 1, 2013.
    On November 12, 2013, the whole Weather All the Time thing happened, which was the biggest change in recent years.
    On November 6, 2014, they quietly cut the 4am hour of “Weather Center Live” and replaced it with long-form, and when that happened, “Wake Up With Al” expanded to 5-7am et, and the shift from 4-7am et on weekends was removed, and the other shows started 2 hours earlier, with the 7-11am et shift becoming a 5-9am et shift, and the 11am-2pm et shift becoming a 9-12pm et shift, with long-form starting at 12pm et on weekends, instead of 2pm et, then on November 17 that year, “Wake Up With Al” quit re-airing at 10am et, and a new block of “Weather Center Live” was added from 10am-12pm et, with other shifts adjusted accordingly.
    And finally on November 9, 2015, AMHQ relaunched, with “Stephanie Abrams” and “Jen Carfagno” becoming new anchors for that program. If my speculation is right, I feel it would happen around the week of November 12, 2018. I’m interested in knowing if my speculation is correct by someone who works here, or if I’m just having superstitions.

Could just be coincidental. I don’t think a major update will come and I really do think TWC needs to stop letting Local on the 8s rot like a dead fish out on the shore.

To all the comments requesting the Local on the 8s change to be reverted, I 110% agree with them. Here are several examples:

“Local on the 8s is the main reason I tune in to TWC, as often 3-5 times a day.” – @linhardtqords

“we depend on the Local on the 8s for OUR local weather.” – @amazedhuman

“this has been the largest change that is going to alienate a loyal viewer base” – @luesjo12

“It is important, particularly during severe weather season. I rely on it to keep track of thunder and lightning.” – Lee

“you can have more air time for the meteorologists without cutting the LOT8s.” – @kvanbe1

“If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.” – multiple users

“Local forecasts ARE live weather coverage!  They are the bread and butter that the network was founded on.” – @tudayishere

“(since 2000) I have used the Local on the 8s as a timing method to keep me on track in the mornings.” – @sweetnsour2128

“This change ran me off for good” (I’m honestly about to be the same.) – @jeffinthewest

“hundreds of posts on Twitter and Facebook about the changes.” – @luesjo12

No disrespect intended, but to the Weather Channel, you say that there were a lot of requests for this. The amount of people against this change significantly outnumber who want this change.

Does anyone want to wait thirty minutes for a local forecast? A lot of people here complain that they want the full screen local forecast back, since the side bar is not even a good thing. If it’s just only twice an hour, there might as well be zero local forecasts played at all.

There are more commercials played than local forecasts. The Weather Channel was financially stable before more commercials aired. Now the Weather Channel logo just shows “Local on the 8s” (in a “local forecast” on the bottom of the screen) rather than the TWC logo.

There’s even a petition that has been started.

There are a lot of YouTube videos about the Local on the 8s and this change will dramatically alter that.

The last time anyone responded to feedback here was back in April, and I want to ask if anyone will change this back soon.

I asked the Weather Channel to put back the pre-2013 Local on the 8s info (traffic, almanac, school/commute forecast, etc.) to the forecast in May 2017. Eleven months later, a different, unwanted change occured.

Actions mean more than words.

There are a lot of requests to revert this change. Please take our feedback seriously. Thank you.

it is called a weather radio. get it and it broadcast your local weather 24/7.

I mean, yeah a weather radio is a good option but having to wait until the broadcast cycles to your city is sorta annoying. That’s why people prefer to use LOT8s for a quick and visual way to get weather.

If The Weather Channel really wants to call themselves a “public service” and an integral part of the fabric of national preparedness, then they should start providing the information that matters the most to most TWC viewers, Local forecasts.

When will @haleybrennan and @brandon_uffner listen? NO ONE asked for this.

this is what happens:

you say their are to many commercials and not enough coverage. OK, cool so we will make more live coverage but with less Local on the 8’s. you get angry for not enough local weather so then they change it back and the cycle repeats.

I don’t recall anyone saying commercial breaks are too long lol. Things were just fine the way they were before…

A new thread was posted today (10/17): https://weloveweather.tv/community/discussion/local-on-the-8s-questions/ 

This proves that the amount of people opposing this change outnumber the amount supporting this change.

“We want to give everybody the best weather experience possible!” Not by letting everyone complain endlessly about this poorly done change.

I live in Phoenix where rain is uncommon, so people in the desert may be okay with this change. But if I live somewhere in the central or eastern U.S., weather can change rapidly there, and they give info we don’t care about 1,000 or 2,000 miles away.

Very poor decision.

Bring. It. Back.

With this change, playing the LOT8s at the 18th and 48th minutes is a bad time. Every 10 minutes was fine. Right before those minutes (at the 17th and 47th minutes) I, along with virtually everyone else, have to go through “clipping”. Clipping takes away the Weather Channel’s bar at the bottom and replaces it with annoying local commercials, especially political attack ads. I HATE those commercials, and this change means I have to watch them in order to get the Local on the 8s.

Okay, I just sent an email to the Weather Channel about the complaints. I hope anyone in charge of this change understands all of how we feel.

Yet another thread complaining about this change has been posted, with its text quoted:

“I have heard a lot of feedback about the Local on the 8’s crisis. I began thinking of solutions to it by having an increase in time but still having the LOT8’s be on every 8 minute. and than it hit me on how easy it was:

during Live coverage when that big clock strikes on the :8 minute you stop the live coverage, go to the LOT8’s and once that is done, resume the live coverage instead of having it at the bottom of the screen. that way their is still 5 more minutes of Live coverage but having the Local on the 8’s on the :8 :18 :28 :38 :48 and :58.

I am probably still going to get yelled at by changing it back to its original format but can’t the Weather Channel actually listen for once instead of ignoring the problem?”

Can the Weather Channel understand these words? I won’t lie, I have not watched TWC since October 22. I’m better off watching Fox News or CNN and I hate politics. Those two channels do absolutely no dumb technical changes like the Weather Channel to alienate viewers.

I wonder what it’s going to take for the Weather Channel to listen to our viewers. 300 posts on this thread? 20,000 views? Endless complaints for several more months?

I, along with other viewers have been complaining for months. We’re even contemplating switching to another channel for the weather.

In fairness to Haley, she did come out recently and say that she is aware of the feedback and that it is all being considered. This overhaul that they did (albeit unnecessary) probably involved restructuring of advertising contracts, etc. It isn’t  a change that can be reverted immediately, but I do hope they realize this was the wrong move and that the backlash is never going to stop. It was too big of a change and too bad of a change.

I would be curious to hear what Brandon would say if he chimed in on this.

Bring back local on the 8s as well as the function of hitting the red button on the Genie DTV remote to instantly see the local current weather conditions and radar.

You went backwards in your effort.

• Where oh where are my locals on the eights?  We are in a rural area in tornado alley more than 100 miles from the localest city covered on the 8s.  Come on guys – the weather channel is what keeps rural Americans informed.  Most of us don’t have the time or patience and to wait half an hour then wait for it to scroll through what we could have preselected on the REAL local on the 8s.  Bad move.  Bad bad move.  Storm of Suspicion or Highway to Hell can’t help me plan a day or a trip or keep me and my family safe.

Exactly! I never have the time to wait thirty minutes. Eight months after this change occured, the weird Local on the 8s local on the bottom left screen is still in existence, and we wait half an hour for a real LOT8s forecast. What’s it gonna take for TWC to realize this was a poor move?

I guess the reason why TWC is not listening to us is because of how we say it: “Bring back the Local on the 8s.” They assume that we’re saying all of it has been taken away and that’s why they tell us that there’s still two per hour. Still not enough.

I think what we should say is “Change it back to six full-screen Local on the 8s forecasts per hour.”

But when we say “Bring back the Local on the 8s” we want all four lost LOT8s forecasts back to make it every 10 minutes.

Still waiting for TWC to put this back.

This change has made me go to weather.com for their local forecasts, and wow, their website works terribly. I click the forecast for a city, and it shows me the current forecast for one or two seconds. Then it shows me slightly different current conditions (a few minutes apart from the other) and slightly different forecasts… please fix this! Both your website and the LOT8s forecast!

I notice there are a lot of people complaining about the LOT8s about which city is being shown. This is a big issue for farmers in rural areas, as they need the nearest appropriately-sized city to be shown. And someone just commented that not everyone has internet, and the patience to wait half an hour. Bring back four LOT8s forecasts to make it every 10 minutes! Please!

Reply to Local on the 8s are being reimagined!

X

Join the We Love Weather Community

You’re trying to access an exclusive feature–and trust us, you don’t want to miss it!

• Access Exclusive Content
  • Receive Weekly Newsletters
  • Post Your Weather Photos
  • Participate in Our Forums
  • Create Your Own Profile

What are you waiting for? It only takes a minute to join!

Already a member?