HEY! We have weather in Washington State Too. And so does Utah, Oregon, and New Mexico

started by JeannieM, October 20, 2018
15 replies to this discussion

I drove round-trip from Puyallup, WA to Dover, DE zig-zagging through states to decide where to live when I retired. I ended up in Arizona, thinking the weather would be warm and nice. I lasted 18 months before scurrying back to Washington, choosing a nice quiet burg called Ocean Shores. Now I realize all I had to do was watch the Weather Channel to pick a place to live by crossing off all of the places that ever get a mention – we don’t have hurricanes, tornados, flooding, 100 degree temperatures or wild fires and only rare days with any frost, snow, hail, or lightening. Our cool, mild coastal weather may seem to make our environment boring but we do get some high winds and exciting tidal surges. So I wonder why the Weather Channel seems to forget that there is anything to report east of the Mississippi unless it is on fire or under water. I don’t want the Cascadia subduction zone to have to rupture, wiping me off the face of the planet, for the east coast to realize that there is a west coast. I think it would be really nice if there could be a little more in-depth reporting of weather, not just weather disasters or east and south east weather reports.

Boy, do we know what you mean! We can have such an interesting day here – but nobody is ever going to experience it, ’cause we’re not victims of a hurricane, flood, wild fire, just exceptional weather for our area. Alas…like you, I don’t want a tornado to wipe us off the face of the map to get coverage, but a tiny mention once in awhile would be fun. You know..’50 mph winds sweep through Michigan’…or something like that when it happens could be interesting :>)

Ah yes! It is good to know that there is weather like 50 mph winds in other areas of the U.S. It is so interesting to watch the coverage of how the jet stream moves north and south, creating weather conditions in the east, but is so disappointing that there is so little mention of how it affects every place else in its path. Weather is so fascinating!

We had a gust of wind yesterday that had to be around 50 mph and it knocked out our power for about 3 hours.  The Michigan – Michigan State game was postponed for over an hour because of  lightning and strong winds.  That’s about as exciting as it gets here in Michigan most of the time.

we had 50mph winds in Illinois too! their was lots of tree damage across the area. than that night we had are first hard freeze of the season.

We, here in North country ( New York ) have had winds as strong as 87 mph. It folded an interstate sign in half.  Also, I’ve lived thru a terrible ice storm for almost a month. No power, heat it was awful. And in addition to all that, I had to travel 45 minutes to receive chemo treatments.

It sounds like your weather is fearsome! Maybe that is why the Weather Channel has trouble recognizing our mild environment. I do hope you stay well.

Hi Jeannie,

Your story is so similar to mine, I had to respond. I am still living in Arizona, and we get marvelous thunderstorms that are rarely covered by the Weather Channel.  We also get 120+ degree days that are also rarely covered. However, I just bought a small mobile in Ocean Shores and will soon be your neighbor. I hope the Weather Channel listens and starts covering the West more. In the meantime, I’ll keep watching the Ocean Shores beach cam and dreaming of when I can relocate there permanently. 😉

Michele

I love living in Ocean Shores so much more than living in Arizona – it is so much easier to put on a coat when it’s cold than to figure out which piece of clothing to take off when it’s hot. Arizona is beautiful, really nice in December, but too hot to enjoy the outdoors otherwise. I hope you will be as happy in Ocean Shores as I am. Looking forward to seeing you down in the North Jetty area – I’m the one there come rain or shine, wind or calm, waves or blasting sand.

• That’s normal I live in Southern California and the only time you hear anything about San Diego is when there’s a major fire. We have beautiful weather here but do they take the time to mention it even briefly, no, but I wish they would. We mts with snow, desserts, beaches  and a foreign country right next door

I agree.  I live in Southwest U.S. and we barely get mentioned.  That’s why I don’t watch TWC anymore.  They seem to forget that people live here too.

Our weather is not as exciting or severe, but it deserves more coverage than it’s getting.  But they’re not listening to us on that nor on the local weather format change either.

I have a friend in WA, but they rarely cover the NW part of the U.S. also.

Unless we have raging fires, the West is ignored.  It’s mostly the East Coast or Mid-West.

Here in Phoenix we get mentioned on TWC only if it’s extremely hot (110+) or when there’s a big monsoon/dust storm coming. It always feels like they mention only the central or eastern U.S. over 95% of the time. I would totally love it if they discuss the western U.S. more often.

Perhaps it is good that we here on the west coast often are not mentioned in the weather news – the silence is a testament of how nice it is to live in this part of the country – a lack of continuous weather-focused disasters. Our winter storms are exciting but rarely destructive, our springs are cool and moist allowing early emergence of beautiful foliage and flowers, the summers are warm and sunny (Sorry Arizona and southern California – the too hot summers seem to be the pay-back for the comfortably warm winters) and our falls bring us rain that is welcome and autumn foliage colors that can rival anything the NE produces. Maybe we should request a PMHQ program that would focus on this side of the country – it would be a calm program that would relax people in time for sleep.

I agree… We have wind storms here in Las Cruces, New Mexico too, 50+mph gusts at times, sand storms, drought; it seems to me like points West are consisently passed over by TWC and the media unless, of course, we either burn, shake rattle and roll and swallow up a couple of freeways,  a volcano spews lava into Paradise or have a Pacific based hurricane.

Otherwise we’re off the map.

So sorry to see that California had to start burning again to make the AMHQ news. Be safe down there!

Here’s a photo of the cold air aloft and convection over the ocean that Dr. Postel says is sending winter weather to the midwest this weekend. Apologies to North Platte if you don’t want that snow!

Reply to HEY! We have weather in Washington State Too. And so does Utah, Oregon, and New Mexico

X

Join the We Love Weather Community

You’re trying to access an exclusive feature–and trust us, you don’t want to miss it!

• Access Exclusive Content
  • Receive Weekly Newsletters
  • Post Your Weather Photos
  • Participate in Our Forums
  • Create Your Own Profile

What are you waiting for? It only takes a minute to join!

Already a member?