Heat Index Query

started by dreamoftoday, April 7, 2020
0 replies to this discussion

Hello! I’m trying to understand some things regarding heat index and I’m having a bit of trouble wrapping my head around some things.

First question is: Why doesn’t the NOAA Heat Index Chart continue to higher temperature and humidity readings? I’ve gotten my own readings at 99F 98% humidity and the chart doesn’t allow a conversion for this. I work in and around wetlands a lot so it doesn’t surprise me that I end up with abnormally high humidity readings. Is there a tool floating around somewhere that I can see what these combinations come out to, index-wise?

Second question is whether or not that index takes into account the effect of being in direct sunlight on the body’s ability to cool down. My understanding is this can be up to a 15 degree ‘feels like’  difference if so. Would this number change even more if working on particular surfaces, especially concrete/asphalt or white surfaces like sand? Or is it all hogwash?

I appreciate all the help! Thank you for all you do.

Reply to Heat Index Query

X

Join the We Love Weather Community

You’re trying to access an exclusive feature–and trust us, you don’t want to miss it!

• Access Exclusive Content
  • Receive Weekly Newsletters
  • Post Your Weather Photos
  • Participate in Our Forums
  • Create Your Own Profile

What are you waiting for? It only takes a minute to join!

Already a member?