Have you been in a Severe Thunderstorm Warning?

started by Gus11LovesWeather, January 30, 2017
29 replies to this discussion
  • I’ve been in a Severe ThunderStorm Warning in Pasco, WA May 21 2016

Pea size hail and Very heavy rain hit us and amazingly i got to see a funnel cloud!

<p style=”text-align: left;”>It was the last day of summer vacation in August 2016. A thunderstorm warning turned to a flash flood warning. My backyard was destroyed and now my family and I are looking for a new house.</p>

I’ve been in them 3 or 4 times, but the most notable was back in July 2011, when the most powerful storm I had seen yet struck. The storm brought constant thunder and lightning, heavy rain and quarter-sized hail for almost an entire week. Needless to say, I had to run over to my weather radio to shut off its alarm quite a few times during that week.

• Woah! What storm was that! Souds like the storm was really bad

No, but I’ve seen the alert come on and it scares me even though these storms don’t occur in the area I live in.  I’m scared of thunderstorms–both the noise from it which rattles everything like an earthquake, and that lightning which we know is very dangerous and destructive.

The desert and foothill areas seem to get these severe thunderstorms, those occasionally they do hit urban areas.  They tend to be quick—over in a few minutes thankfully.  You don’t want something like that going on for hours!

Worse one ever turned out with enormous amount of tornadoes 1973, soooooo scary, I will never forget it😲

you mean the 1974 tornado out break or a different one that happened?

I’ve been in severe thunderstorm warnings so many times that I have lost count. Severe thunderstorms aren’t all supercells, so many can happen when squall lines come through. I remember it being my favorite weather moment when I was little, and still to this day it’s exciting. It’s a fun thing to live in Texas where severe weather does happen at certain times of the year!

AlexisCarden, I am totally in the same boat with you.  You gave an awesome summary of severe thunderstorms.  I give it 10 out of 10 stars.  #nailedit 😀

I’ve been in a severe-warned storm only a few times.  The last was July 11, 2007.  Summer thunderstorms have become comparatively scarce since the 1970s

• The worst one I was in was on June 1 2011, the day of a major tornado outbreak in Massachusettes.  No tornado near the coast but we had winds near 70 mph and hail upto 1 inch.

<p style=”text-align: left;”>I live in West Texas and Severe Thunderstorm Warning is normal to us. If you drive through Big Spring, and we are under a Severe Thunderstorm Warning, you can bet you are going to see people on their front porch watching it. Year before last we were under a Tornado Warning and everyone was outside with their camera on their phones taking pictures. I even got a few good shots + a Tornado going back up. Just the way we are I guess. We’ve had plenty of touchdowns but most of them thankfully we’re in the fields.</p>

Multiple times, actually. Mainly in 2015 – 2016 because weather was quite active during those years here in Fort Mohave.

I’ve driven thru plenty of severe thunderstorms over the last several years. Always fun.

Plenty of them. Last was Tues night N Ga was under one, and probably tonite those storms west of us are moving our way,

In Mexico to see the family for vacation I was in multiple! This one caught my attention when i was walking home from the store. As soon as i stepped into the house it started to hail and a EF1 Tornado touched down! Luckily it barely dodged us. I would show the video i got because i was a weather geek and still am but I can’t find it at the moment.

Yes, I’ve been in multiple ones before. Where I live on the Jersey Shore, the storms usually fizzle out so the only exciting part is the lightning/thunder. Since I (believe) that the Air Force base is nearby, It seems that the storms “avoid” that area.

• Oh yes, I have been in several severe thunderstorms. The last one was in August 2016. This storm brought 55+ MPH wind and quarter sized hail. Lot of lightning with this one. The best one I’ve been in was on July 21st 2014. A rare supercell thunderstorm moved through and brought several funnel clouds and even got us a tornado warning!

• Yuck. Severe thunderstorm warnings are no fun. I haven’t even been alive that long and I’ve lost count as to how many I’ve seen. I live in the Atlanta suburbs and we get quite a few every spring. Worst I’ve seen fortunately only brough pea-sized hail, some flooding, and lots of lightning.

Ive been in about 10-30 severe-thunderstorm warnings,but they werent very bad.

I have been in about 20-60 of them. I have lost count.

one of my favorite was one day I was coming home from school and the sky was cloudy. I went inside my house and my weather radio went off saying a severe thunderstorm warning is in affect. I turned on my computer and got on the radar and sure enough there was a line of pop up thunderstorms heading eastward and Peoria was in its path. at 3:30 strong winds rolled in and rain poured down with hail and lightning. the storm stopped at 4:15 and by 4:25 the skies were clear like if nothing happened.

also I have been in about 8 flash flood warning’s, 2 small stream flood advisories, and 5 tornado warning’s.

I had like about 10 recently and 3 of them turned into tornado warnings that I caught on camera I put on youtube.

• I’ve been into 6 sever thunderstorms. The 2012 dericho my first incounter with a sever thunderstorm was the 2012 dericho.  It was bad and that was my first tornado incounter too.It formed beside me and the winds were scary and the car was hard to control but at the end of it I saw a rainbow.

• For me, I have been in more severe thunderstorm warnings than I can remember. I live near the gulf coast, so severe thunderstorms are common year round.

I remember the derecho that hit the Midwest on June 29, 2012.

• The week of June 27 there were four severe thunderstorm warnings where I live, which was totally awesome for me because I got to see all the storms. The worst one was on June 27, with gusts up to 75 mph, quarter-sized hail, and very intense rain. My family and I decided to stay outside for the whole storm (because we’re weird and sometimes do dangerous things just for the heck of it), and we had to take shelter beside a low bush because the rain and the wind were so crazy we couldn’t even stand up! I’m pretty sure it was a supercell-class storm, since it formed an awesome wall cloud and the winds were so high, but I haven’t confirmed it yet.

• I’ve been under many tornado and severe thunderstorm warnings living along the front range of Colorado. The most memorable storm I’ve seen I drove to, and it was in Eads, Colorado of April 15th, 2016. I took photos with my phone and 360 video, my first tornado, it was incredible! Years back we had a tornado touchdown nearby during a Winter Storm Warning, so we had a tornado warning and a Winter Storm Warning simultaneously!

Reply to Have you been in a Severe Thunderstorm Warning?

X

Join the We Love Weather Community

You’re trying to access an exclusive feature–and trust us, you don’t want to miss it!

• Access Exclusive Content
  • Receive Weekly Newsletters
  • Post Your Weather Photos
  • Participate in Our Forums
  • Create Your Own Profile

What are you waiting for? It only takes a minute to join!

Already a member?