Booming, Thunder-Like Sounds In Mid Michigan

started by CathieU, July 28, 2019
5 replies to this discussion

Last night, we kept hearing noises that sounded like thunder, but there were no storms appearing near us on radar.  Others  had reported hearing these also.   I did see a few flashes of lightning way off i the distance but not close enough to hear thunder.  The sheriff’s dept reported that someone was shooting fireworks off about 10 miles from us, but I know what fireworks sound like, and this noise wasn’t that.  The last time I heard it was about 1 AM while I was in bed, and by that time, most of the radar was clear.

Our 10:30 temperature is 80°F (27°C), the humidity is 65%, and the dew point is 67°F (19°C).  The heat index is 82°F (28°C).  The pressure is 30.05 in (1017.6 mb) and falling.  Visibility is 10 miles.  Winds are from the southwest at 10 mph.  Yesterday’s high was 84°F (29°C) and the overnight low was 73°F (23°C).  Averages for this date are 81°F / 60°F.  Sunrise was at 6:23 AM and sunset will be at 9:03 PM.

DURAND / OWOSSO FORECAST:

Today:  Mostly sunny with a slight chance of thunderstorms in the afternoon.  Winds W at 10 mph, gusting to 18 mph.  Chance of rain 20%.

Tonight:  Mostly cloudy.  Low 70°F.  Winds SW at 7 mph.

Monday:  Mostly cloudy with a chance of showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon.  Winds SW at 10-15 mph, gusting to 28 mph.  High 83°F.  Chance of rain 50%.

Monday Night:  Mostly cloudy with a 30% chance of showers and thunderstorms.  Low 65°F.  Winds SW at 5-10 mph, gusting to 18 mph.

Cathie, strange you should mention that. I kept hearing those noises too. Reading in bed with the window wide open. My first thought was it was the local high school band practicing because I can hear them on a clear night. Then I thought, why just the drum section and why are they playing the same thing over and over. Figured that couldn’t be it because it was too late at night for that anyway. For awhile I thought perhaps thunder, but it wasn’t. Then I thought maybe fireworks, we have the White Caps team playing baseball where they sometimes have fireworks after the game, but again, almost too late for that to be the reason for the sound. And like you, I know what that sounds like and it never developed into that. It was weird, and the fact that it was heard over such a distance makes it even more strange. Not buying into anyone telling you it was fireworks – not when it was heard by you and way over here by me. Makes you wonder, doesn’t it? In fact, I’m wondering if anyone could find out what it was.

I found out that there was a group shooting off fireworks that night but they were 10 miles away.  Besides, fireworks would have been constant and these sounds were every once in a while.  The last time I heard it was around 1:30 AM just after I got in bed.  The strange thing is that my niece, up near Indian River, said that they were hearing them also.  What’s gong on???

That is interesting that these sounds were heard up near Indian River, too. I know what we heard was not from fireworks. And so far, I can’t get anyone to investigate to find out what was going on. Seems to me I remember hearing from some time ago about some mysterious noises heard around the state that were never explained, too. Does make you wonder.

I was wondering if maybe they were storms starting to form but then fell apart before reaching maturity.  There were a lot of pop-up storms that night.  The strange part is when I heard it at 1:30 AM, I checked the radar and all the storms were gone by them.  Some of this rumbling sounded quite close but yet nothing was showing on radar close to us.  Also, I saw no lightning.

No, what I heard was not thunder. When I continued to listen to it, it didn’t fit any pattern of thunder…the sound too consistent. No lightening. No, I’m about 100% sure the sound didn’t come from any storms.

Reply to Booming, Thunder-Like Sounds In Mid Michigan

X

Join the We Love Weather Community

You’re trying to access an exclusive feature–and trust us, you don’t want to miss it!

• Access Exclusive Content
  • Receive Weekly Newsletters
  • Post Your Weather Photos
  • Participate in Our Forums
  • Create Your Own Profile

What are you waiting for? It only takes a minute to join!

Already a member?