Are the rumors true?

started by RileySFS, July 25, 2017
2 replies to this discussion

I am hoping to one day work for WFAA-TV (my local ABC News affiliate) or ABC News as a Broadcast Meteorologist, TWC is also an option though, and I was wondering if you have to work at stations for smaller viewing areas before the bigger viewing areas, like DFW where I live. One of my teachers, who worked at the NBC affiliate in Abilene, TX before teaching News, said that you do and I want to know if the rumors are true. Thanks in advance.

• Expert Member

Hi Riley,

I would say that if you have a passion for weather, follow it, and be open to whatever opportunities may come your way. Always try to gain experience where you can and be willing to move. Do your best at whichever location you may be employed. This field will require a lot of flexibility. I can’t speak for local news (hopefully one of the other mets can chime in), but I came from graduate school to TWC, so I say anything is possible!

Hi Riley,

I am a student at Penn State studying Meteorology with an emphasis in broadcasting. I have found that most of the bigger markets/cities require 2-5 years of experience as a Broadcast Meteorologist. It is a very rare case that Broadcast Meteorologists go directly from college into a large market/city such as Dallas or TWC. A few people that I know are starting out in places like Macon, Georgia, Central Pennsylvania, and another went to a place in Idaho or Wyoming. Generally fresh college grads get a job in broadcast markets greater than 100. Here is a link to a list of cities based on their TV Market size. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_television_markets

Best of luck!

Patrick Wright 🙂

Reply to Are the rumors true?

X

Join the We Love Weather Community

You’re trying to access an exclusive feature–and trust us, you don’t want to miss it!

• Access Exclusive Content
  • Receive Weekly Newsletters
  • Post Your Weather Photos
  • Participate in Our Forums
  • Create Your Own Profile

What are you waiting for? It only takes a minute to join!

Already a member?