A phobia is an extreme or irrational fear of something. The well-known phobias deal with confined spaces, spiders, public speaking, heights, and so on. But did you know there are phobias associated with the weather? Here are 10 of the most common weather phobias:
1. Heliophobia: fear of the sun
2. Ancraophobia: fear of wind
3. Nephophobia: fear of clouds
4. Cymophobia: fear of waves
5. Homichlophobia: fear of fog
6. Astraphobia: fear of thunder and lightning
7. Ombrophobia: fear of rain
8. Lilapsophobia: fear of tornadoes and hurricanes
9. Chionophobia: fear of snow
10. Antlophobia: fear of floods
You may think these fears are rare, but 1 in 10 people have a weather-related phobia. For a better understanding of each of these aversions, be sure to check your local listings for Top 10: Weather Phobias on The Weather Channel!
What do you think about these phobias? Comment below or start a discussion in our new Community Forum!
To learn more about Lilapsophobia, click here.